Thursday, December 2, 2010

Meet Max

This has absolutely nothing at all to do with weaving but that is ok, right? I have been looking for an LGD for some time now. For those who don't know, an LGD is a livestock guard dog. Last winter my son saw a wolf at two different times near our home. That is too close for comfort. While I think wolves are beautiful animals I wouldn't want one eating one of my little goats. I have two Nigerian Dwarf goats and a Nigora. Kami, the Nigora is a cross between a Nigerian Dwarf and a Angora goat. She is so soft! I am looking forward to spinning her wool.

Max is nine weeks old. He is a Great Pyrenees. He may be little right not but he will get very big. I got to meet his parents and they looked like they are great farm dogs.

I asked some of my friends to help me pick a name.  I have had Bear, Snowball and Zamboni offered as suggestions. One of our sons suggested Clifford as in the big red dog. He started out small, too!

Well, here he is! Isn't he just the cutest thing? So far he is doing his job. He hasn't let the goats out of his sight since he got here. Looks like he is starting out on the right foot! Well, um, paw.

Linda

da

7 comments:

LA said...

That is such a great breed of dogs!!! Max looks like he's a winner!

Bonnie said...

Glad little Max is watching the goats. He is so cute.

Maggie said...

Oh my goodness! He's adorable! Max is a good name, but I really like Zamboni. And it is about fiber, right? Someday, you should try spinning HIS fur!

Theresa said...

Way too cute. Look at the paws on that ball of fluff too! Zamboni would have fit, but Max is a super name too. Really, wolves? I would think the local domestic dog population just as much as not more of a threat. Either way, Max will be there. Great Pyr's are such sweet dogs. I'm with Maggie, that underfur has got to be great for spinning with something.

roxie said...

Save the coat brushings. Max looks like a noble guardian. Yay Max!

Linda said...

Maggie, to tell you the truth I never thought about spinning his wool. Maybe I should! My main goal was to find a dog to guard the goats.

Ann said...

He is adorable and looks like TROUBLE