Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Changing it Up

 I'm sorry to have missed the last Tuesday Weaving of the year!  But sometimes the spirit is willing when the body is not, and I had to listen to my body.  Instead of going to Norris, I cut off the purple and green warp, and then braided the ends of one of the scarves.  Do you know how you can't stop touching or looking at a project once you've finished it?  I keep fondling these scarves! They were so stiff when I cut them off the loom, worse when I washed them, but since they've dried, they're so soft and lush.  Notice how much darker and thinner the one on the top is?  It's the one I wove first, with the tighter sett. the other two are kind of wide for a scarf, but so soft and drapey.  I think their recipients will like them!

The next warp of scarves won't be done in time for Christmas gifts, but I think will be fun to weave.  The red chenille is much thicker than the black, so there's a thread of black bamboo running alongside the black chenille to give it a boost.  This is going to be a Log Cabin, and I'm very excited to get started.  I'm about half done with the heddle threading, and do you notice anything odd?  Yep!  I'm front-to-backing!  I didn't mean to, but I was so excited to get started, I had it set up before I realized it.  It's only 120 threads and nine yards long.  I'm wondering about the sett, maybe too close?  But it's off to the races soon!  I'll just hope for the best.
  It'll be Boxing Day next time I write, so Merry Christmas to everyone and Happy Weaving!
Maggie

3 comments:

Tina J said...

Great scarves! Merry Christmas Maggie!

LA said...

I think that someone is going to be lucky to receive one of your scarves!!! I can't wait to see the new batch of scarves...what fun! Merry Christmas!!!!

Bonnie said...

Missed you on Tuesday. Scarves turned out nice. Front to back is just easier to me.