Friday, September 18, 2015

Is That You Mojo?

It all started with the decision to pass along a Leclerc floor loom that  I had been given several years ago.  I had recently attached 50 yards of warp to the project that was remaining on the loom, but it really did not have to go on that loom at all.  I wove to a convenient stopping spot and cut off the 6 plain weave variegated napkins that were done.  The napkins were put aside on a different loom, the Burchard loom, as I put in the lease sticks and pulled the warp back through the reed and heddles, it will hang from the trapeze I have mounted on the wall until I am ready to load it onto the 8 harness Binder loom.  I dusted the Leclerc and got it ready to move on, probably next week.

With one project off the looms, I turned to the 6 harness Sears Hearthside loom, (yep another one!!  I only have one more loom to sell before I will be at my goal of only 2 floor looms in the studio!)  I had beamed a short run of textured placemats several months ago, hoping to use up all of my red 8/4 that loses a lot of dye in the first wash.  I used 2 different reds, one in the warp and the other in the weft.  My hope is that these will be reversible!  I had not woven even one of these, as I was tinkering with the loom a little bit, but, with one loom empty, I was all of a sudden ready to tackle another loaded loom!



It is amazing how much weaving I can get done if I will just get started!  You can see the 8 placemats on top of the 6 napkins, to the right.

At the same time, I began weaving on my blue jean placemats once again.  Wednesday, I cut 6 placemats off of the Binder loom, and I had to then, re-beam the warp from the warp weighted system I had been trying out, back to the looms warp beam.  The weighted warp was a good idea in theory, but in actuality  there seemed to be some pressure on odd parts of the loom that made me uneasy to continue with it.  I also had to stop and cut more blue jean strips before I could weave the 6 placemats, that I am confident are left on this warp.

 Once while, when I was taking a break, I  pulled out one of the "Weave it" looms that I have in my possession.  (While I was at the store the other day, I found a really long needle that I lacked in order to use these little beauties.)  I  grabbed some variegated lace weight yarn that has been bouncing around the studio, looking for the right project, and I read the instructions.  Before I knew it, I had finished 2 of them!

I think we may have finally hit the right yarn with the right project!

The fall shows are coming fast, and I need to cut some more blue jean strips.  My goal is to have the weaving done on these last 6 placemats by next week.  Then I will do the finishing on all the above items and do a quick inventory, to get an idea of what else I may be able to add in a very short time.

Until next time, Happy Crafting, Tina

2 comments:

LA said...

The red on red placemats are outstanding. Great way to use those cones of thread!!!!

Harriet H said...

ALL are absolutely beautiful..... you are amazingly talented....

Harriet