Friday, November 30, 2012

Next up on the Wool Loom

Continuing in my quest to be more productive this next year, I have assigned a project or series of projects to each loom.  The small light weight loom in the hall, that really hasn't seen much use, therefore, is now the Wool Loom.  I just successfully wove a wool Scarf for my Daughter, and I have decided to use some alpaca for the next project.

I was given the Alpaca, Knit Picks DK "City Tweed", as a going away present when I retired 3 years ago.  It is the yarn that was to be used for the "Nona's Flower Garden Shawl".  It is lovely, but  I soon realized that I was not going to be able to do that shawl, mainly because they used colors on the chart instead of symbols.  It was almost impossible, for me, to distinguish between several of the colors on the chart.  There it languished, unused and unloved.

It is all lovely, and I think I have enough to make a beautiful woven shawl instead.  Each skein has 123 yds, and for a 4 yd warp, at 12 epi, that is 2 inches of warp width per skein.  There are 14 skeins, so if my calculations are right that is 28 inches across the warp.  I must of course come up with something that I can use as weft, and I think I have just the thing!

I have some Knit Picks Gloss left over from one of my Shawl projects.  It is a rich blue/red color that I think looks good with all the colors that are going to be in this warp.  You can see it here in the top of the second picture.






 The Alpaca from the Knit Picks City Tweed combined with the Silk and Merino from the Knit Picks Gloss, fingering, should make the Shawl drape wonderfully!
I cannot wait to get started!  In fact, I think that is just what I am going to do!

Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina






3 comments:

LA said...

I am so excited about the colors for that wool warp! What a lovely shawl that will make!

Maggie said...

Well, get to work, then!

Bonnie said...

love the colors.