Friday, February 3, 2012

Call Me Crazy!

This is where I left off last week.  I had taken the Waffle Weave towels off of the loom in order to re-thread for another pattern.  I kept looking at the towels and at how narrow they were. I did not like it!  I also did not like how there was several reed marks the length of the towels due to the spacing I was forced to do with a 15 dent reed and a 14 epi warp.  I finally decided to pull the whole warp off the back beam, (I know, call me  crazy!) and double the width  with the rest of the warp, and use a 15 epi, which would give me 26 inches in the reed, which is totally acceptable on Little Alice.

 
So I began,  I measured the warp as I took it off, and got 36 yards.  I had cut of just over 4 yards, so their must be 40 yards of paper on the loom.  That is good to know, but it also means that there were 40 yards of paper coming off the back beam that I had to rewind onto the paper holder!


I think it is a beautiful warp.  I pulled it over the loom and towards the back of the loom to make it easier to manage both the warp and the paper.
Here it is going into a box for safe keeping.  I didn't chain it, that would have been one thing too many. ( I know, call me crazy!)
I kept the two warps separate and I started to wind on, only to discover that the paper is too narrow for this width of warp!  So I pulled out the mini blinds that Lou Ann is so fond of and cut a bunch more to size for this project.  I only hope I have enough, 36 yards is a lot to wind on with sticks!



This week has not been the best week for weaving.  In fact this morning has been my only time this week, in the Studio.  This afternoon I am off and running again, so I had to leave it just like this.  It will be waiting for me when I get home this afternoon, and again tomorrow morning, I expect to spend several hours on it then, as well.

I think it will be well worth all the trouble though.  I will be able to weave  much wider towels (even the Waffle Weave) that will please me and my customers much more than those sad narrow ones.  I suppose that the old mountain weaver that wound these long warps had a specific purpose for them that eludes me, maybe it was  table runners, or something like that.

That is all for now, Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina

3 comments:

LA said...

Yeah! Blind slats to the rescue! I think you'll be much happier with the wider warp...it will make much nicer towels!

Bonnie said...

Waffle weave does shrink up "A-LOT". I found out the hard way also. Uses a lot of yarn also. Hope you get the warp back on in working order----Crazy Lady.

Theresa said...

Yikes! I just can't imagine doing a warp that long let alone taking it all off and putting it back on. All kinds of awe coming your way. I bet those towels are going to be wonderful though.