Monday, September 4, 2017

Quilts Done

This morning we finally got pictures of the quilts I finished in Canada. Normally I take pictures of them while I'm up there but this time my sister and I did a road trip that cut into a big chunk of my time up there so I didn't get the binding on til I got home. Then we had rain, etc here and today was the first chance I had to take pictures.
The quilt is kind of unusual for me. I bought the fabric years ago when DD decided to sew. She changed her mind so I had the more modern fabrics. No pattern. I'm not even sure how many charm packs I had. Maybe 2 plus 2 jelly rolls? I know I made 4 patches of the charms and then had to figure out how to make a quilt that worked. Just starting at the middle and creating the 38 sq inch center and going on from there. Every so often I'd have to add a half inch strip to make it work. Usually I used a bright orange for the tiny strip.
The pattern we decided for quilting was one of circles to go with the circles in the fabrics.
I had one piece of print that was a big print but not enough for the whole back. 
In my stash I had some chicken fabric that I liked and had recently bought because it was cute. The colors worked perfectly for the quilt.
The sun is pretty bright this morning and washed out the colors a bit. It's a cheerful quilt that DD can use on her bed. It'll fit a queen bed.
While at my sister's house I cut out a smaller flannel quilt and sewed it in time for it to be quilted as well. I bought the fabric as a kit several years ago and just fell in love with the colors. This was an incredibly easy quilt to cut and sew.
You needed 5/8 of a yard of five fabrics, cut them all the same so you had all the pieces, then assemble the one block using all the different fabrics, mixed up in a certain way. Assembling it was fast, too.
We decided to use a pattern of stars for quilting it. The back is the green with little red circles fabric. It was included in the kit so no thinking really. Just cut, sew and assemble. This is the first kit I've done like this but the colors were just speaking to me and because it's flannel, it's perfect for on the sofa when it is chilly!
So that's what I made. I did cut out another flannel throw that I started to assemble last night. It's mostly black with some vibrant colors and is more complicated than this but should turn out nicely.
The problem with quilting is that I can only do it when I have extra time. This week starts the pressure for getting ready for the fall shows. A warp is on the loom waiting for me to weave it today. Hopefully I'll get it woven today because another one is waiting. I'm trying to get the painted warps done before I wind another cotton warp to weave.
Until next week, keep weaving.
Carol

3 comments:

LA said...

Great use of your time while you were up north!!!! Very colorful!

Tina J said...

I love those quilts!

Harriet H said...

Love your quilts. They are beautiful!