Friday, September 15, 2017

"Days of the Pioneers"

It is the annual Antique show at the "Museum of Appalachia".  LouAnn and I were up and out early this  morning,  but we were not the first ones to get there!






All of the vendors and our Sassafras tea guys were in place.




And would you look at the public that was just dying to get in this morning first thing to snap up all the good deals!










We were all waiting for this, the show opens with the bagpiper making her way from the gift shop/cafe to the gate where people can enter the grounds.



There she goes, you can see her mid frame in this picture and the public it there in the distance chomping at the bit!













Here they come!












I had already determined that I was not going to be buying anything this year, nothing, nada, zilch!  I have plenty of everything I need, a lifetime supply you might say.  So I had no intention of browsing the booths, because I knew I would find something, if I looked.

I was going to the rest room to rest a minute, I had seen a great wheel from the porch and I thought I would go see what it was like.  It was in really nice shape, but the price was way to high for my budget, and I already have 2 of them at home.  So I continued merrily on my way, when something really caught my eye!


What you cannot tell from this picture is that this is a really small Great Wheel, and a fairly old looking one at that.  It has a groove in the wheel which means that it is probably from Appalachia, so pretty local.

I was looking at the wheel thinking about what I might be willing to pay for it.  It would be a perfect demo wheel, I could let kids spin on it, where I can't do that with my little red wheel, (they might break it).


I had just settled in my mind what I thought would be a reasonable offer, when the vendor pipes up to say that he would take that very amount for the spinning wheel.  I looked at him and I said that that was exactly what I had thought I would offer him for it!  (Bargaining is not in my gene pool)

Anyway, this wheel was soon up on the porch, I oiled the right places and LouAnn came up with a drive band from her colorful thrums in the loom house, and before you know it  this little wheel was spinning like she had been doing it all along.






Here she is beside the small Mayville wheel I usually take to demo at the Museum.  But you really can't tell just how small she is can you.


There that is better, I am 5 ft 1inch tall and this little great wheel hits me right at the armpit.  Within 15 minutes of a getting to know you trial run, I had children asking to spin, and we did that all day long, kids and adults.

 I can have anybody spinning wool in about 5 minutes.  If they have had drop spindle experience, it doesn't even take that long.  To say that I am tickled pink with this new demo wheel is an understatement.


One more thing, there is a name embossed in the table of the wheel, I don't know if this is the wheel maker or the owner of the wheel.  It is going to require some research on my part to see if I can find out anything about her history, I love that kind of research!








We will be back out at the Museum tomorrow, and this little big wheel will get another work out, but I think I will find my wheel boy to take with me so that the people that are taller than I am will not have such a hard time spinning that little 36 inch drive wheel!

Until next time, Happy Spinning, Tina















2 comments:

LA said...

I sure wish I had a picture of you walking up the path with your wee wheel!!! Priceless!!!!

Beverley said...

Wow Tina, I LOVE your little Great Wheel. In Britain we call them a Walking Wheel. It is a beauty and I can see why everyone wants to spin on her. Good luck with your research. Let us know what you find out. Bev.