Monday, February 22, 2016

Kind of Loopy

I got them done! Wove all my loopers. Here are the stack of rugs waiting to be hemmed. There are 7 of them.
Then I wanted to weave selvedges for a bunch of rugs. There's a shop waiting for the rugs I weave.
So I went back to the area of all the clear plastic bags full of selvedges. There was one solid black big bag........yup, full of more loopers!
So I spent yesterday afternoon chaining the rest of the loopers. I am positive that this is it....unless I run across more in a tub. You have to clean the loopers before you even begin to chain them. It's messy and I do it outside in summer but there are still tons of lint that drop as you weave. Vacumn cleaner stands nearby til all the rugs are done!
I've got the second rug warp wound and heddles threaded, ready to do the reed.
There should be 8 rugs on this warp, probably 2 or 3 looper rugs. I sure didn't expect that many looper rugs with what I had but am glad for them. Next up will be selvedge rugs. Tonight I hope to pull out all those bags so I see what to combine. That should be fun. But first, loopers!
Until next week, keep weaving!
Carol

8 comments:

LA said...

GREAT!!! I'll bring you MORE loopers!

Kathy said...

Hi, Carol: I bought 15 lbs. of loopers from Crazy as a Loom a couple of years ago & want to put a rug--or seat or bench "cushion"--warp on my big Macomber finally. On a rag rug, earlier, the sett was 12 epi with regular cotton rug warp & rather narrow rag strips. That sounds too close for the size of these cotton loopers! What sett do you use? I'm anticipating lots of shrinkage, too, so I guess I'll have to sample to see what the starting measurements need to be to get the final product I'm aiming for.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, I'm not sure if you'll see this and it's hard for me to comment since I don't have a google account.
I wove those loopers like you have a year or so ago. They weave great! I do 10 epi using carpet warp. I also don't do fringe, I weave a hem. I didn't have alot of shrinkage, just careful not to pull the loopers when I weave them. Hope this helps.
carol

Kathy said...

Thanks, Carol. Your response hit my email account, since I'd checked that box. I'll start with 10 epi & try not to stretch the loopers out--I figured that could be an issue, too. I also plan on hems, mainly since that's what my rag rug has, & it works fine.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, I was worried about how to contact you with the answer. Good luck. I do hope to have pictures on monday of my rugs but I'm not going to have time to sew this weekend so we'll see. I'm on to weaving with selvedge material now and it's so much easier.
carol

Kathy said...

I've got a bunch of what looks like selvedge material, too--thinnish, fairly narrow, raggedy. Got a sett recommendation for that, too? :-)

Anonymous said...

You need to double the weft if it's thin. If you check the video for the shop In Weave, I think in hawarden, Iowa, she says to do that a lot. I usually do unless a single strand is thick enough. I don't have pictures this week, too much family stuff but really hope to next week. I am weaving the selvedges now and it's so much easier than loopers. Good luck!

Kathy said...

I have 1 big bag of thin selvedges that appear to already be doubled--how nice! My other big bag is of thick selvedges, so I'll use them as is. We're still talking 10 epi?