Monday, February 1, 2016

A Diversion

For the last few years, our neighborhood has seen a turkey or two. In spring we sometimes see mama followed by a bunch of babies. Gradually there are fewer as some don't make it but it's nice to see the ones that survive grow. Mostly they stay in the woods but they really like the bird feeder droppings at our neighbor's home. Imagine this at the end of our driveway as we came down our hill. I took this picture Thursday as I was heading up to the center. Two guys and eighteen girls. Could end up with tons of babies this year. Yesterday morning they were in the middle of the road. We watched as the guys herded the girls across the road. It's a good thing that we live in a very quiet neighborhood. We do have predators in the area as well. I saw a coyote dead by the road Saturday morning just a mile or so from here on the main road. Small animals have to stay inside at night. 
So, how do the turkeys stay safe at night? I don't have a picture but Saturday about 6 pm we were near those mailboxes and realized where they stay. Across the street from this house is a deep ravine with very tall trees. The birds fly to the top of the trees, well over 80 feet in the air. If I hadn't seen it myself, I wouldn't have believed it!! Absolutely amazing!! I love my neighborhood!!
So, I know I was supposed to weave the rest of the curtains this past week. They're still there, waiting. I'm going to be weaving them this week.
But, we had sort of reserved the studio space at the center to paint warps. However, it didn't work for everyone to use the space this time, so on Thursday Christy and I worked on our own projects and Friday I was there by myself, painting warps and skeins. I forgot to take pictures of most of it.
We had to borrow the sink in the pottery studio because the kitchen part of the studio is being renovated. They've put in new cabinets but haven't ordered the countertops yet so we used their sink. It's a bit of a mess but once it's done we should have a nice space with a deeper sink to use when we have dye weekends.
I'm already rinsing warps in my studio and will be for days! I got quite abit painted and that results in a bunch of rinsing! It'll make for nice breaks to stretch while getting those last curtains woven. We had a gorgeous weekend but this week we're supposed to see a lot of rain. Good thing it's warmer than the other week, but we're still in for interesting weather!
Until next week, keep weaving!
Carol

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Yep, turkeys roost in trees except when they are nesting, then they stay on the ground, but they are pretty canny about nesting sites and the keets grow their feathers very quickly. They can't fly far but they can usually get enough lift and distance to avoid ground predators. Hawks are another story....