Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Not Another Loom Tale

No, it's not about a loom today.  Nothing with heddles followed me home.  But it's still a fiber-y item that's dear to my heart.
  Last night, as I "killed" the time between my doctor's appointment and a dinner date with a friend, I wandered into a vintage store I've been wondering about.  I saw the usual old clothes, old shoes, weird lamps, banged up dressers, you know the kind of stuff.  But hidden deep in the bowels of the shop was this sewing machine, a Bernina 730 Record.  Bernina produced this model between 1960 and 1982, according to a website.  Originally, it came with a legion of presser feet, but this one only has the one basic one.
  I wanted it, but felt that I shouldn't spend the money, already owning a perfectly good Bernina.  I went to dinner, went home, went to sleep and woke up this morning thinking about it.  I googled it, read up on it, and only wanted it more.
 


After I paid all my bills, I drove back to the vintage store and bought it.  It's all oiled up, and was already clean and pristine inside.

It has lots of stitches, a free arm and a knee presser foot lift.  Is it too soon to say I love it?  I gave it a run, and it's smooth and fast.  I read somewhere that it has two speeds, but I haven't found out how yet.  I don't have a manual for it, but I think I can download one online.

A knee presser foot lift!



I haven't actually sewn anything with it yet, but I feel the need coming on!  But that's a story for another day.  Stay tuned!  Until then, happy fiber-y goodness to all!
Maggie

3 comments:

LA said...

What a fun find!!! I can't wait for you to give it a try with some fabric!

Sisters said...

There is a yahoo group called, "30 something's" which is a group that talks about Betnina machines that end in the number 30. I have a 1530 and read the info that others write. The members of this group would droll over your machine. I a glad you will give it the love it needs.

Bonnie said...

Great find.