Monday, January 10, 2011

State of Emergency

I'm sitting at the table in my sewing room, doing secret things to the Tuesday Weavers' challenge scarf, watching it snow in my back yard.  I wove like a woman possessed yesterday to finish the second scarf, so that I could wash it and let it dry overnight.  I had to have plenty of time today to do the aforementioned secret things to both of them, to make sure they'd be finished for tomorrow's party.
  Now, I don't like to drive in the snow.  I'm not particularly good at it, but what scares me more is that those around me appear to be worse at it than I, especially here in east Tennessee.  Now the governor has declared a state of emergency and it's supposed to snow all day and into the night, when it changes to freezing rain, and I'm thinking the party will probably not happen tomorrow.  Which makes me sad, not only because I sprinted to the finish line with both exchange projects, but I don't know when I'll have another Tuesday off.  I'll be even more sad if the Dye Day for the combined weaving groups on Saturday gets cancelled, too.
  After I finish my secret work today, I'm going into the loominaria and wind some warps for Saturday's event.  I also have my Christmas haul of yarn to wind into balls before Mom comes back from Kentucky to reclaim her swift and ball winder.  Mom's coming back to stay on January 21, weather permitting, and I'm hoping she'll be joining the Tuesday Weavers once more!
  I received and bought so much yarn over the holidays, I had to start assigning projects to all of it.  It was fun going through old issues of Knits and Vogue Knitting, picking out patterns.  I've got some great projects coming up, as soon as I get my straggler projects finished up.  Two scarves are done, some socks that are languishing are next, and then it's on to the daunting monster, my sister's orange sweater.  I've decided to "de-construct" it--read: rip it out!--and make a lovely cabled cardigan I found in Vogue Knitting.  Not exactly what she asked for, but something I can finish!  Photos when all is done!
  Stay warm and dry, try not to go anywhere and have some cocoa!
Happy wintery weaving!   --Maggie

5 comments:

LA said...

I know what you mean! This is the first year that my challenge projects were done well ahead of time! They're saying the sun is supposed to come out this afternoon....so I've still got my fingers crossed!!!

Life Looms Large said...

Crazy that you have more snow there than we do in NH. This winter it seems like the snow is south of us....very weird!!

Brave of you to unravel a sweater, but sometimes that's the exact right thing to do!!

Hopefully your gatherings will still happen, since you should be rewarded for finishing your scarf just in the nick of time!!

Looking forward to seeing your upcoming projects with all that new yarn!

Stay warm!
Sue

Bonnie said...

Glad you are off today and got some weaving done.

Tina J said...

We usually get so few snow days, I love them! We should be good for Saturday though. Wind those warps Maggie, you are going to have some Dye Day fun coming up!

roxie said...

It looks like Currier and Ives! Time to harness the horses to the sleigh and mull some wine.