Saturday, January 22, 2011

Aurora Borealis

"Energy charged particles from the magnetosphere."

The scientific words do not do justice to this picture!  I remember watching Northern Exposure back in the '90's and thinking that this would be a wonderful thing to see...the Northern Lights.  Maybe I should add this to my "bucket list" OR maybe I should try to weave my own little piece of the Aurora Borealis!!!

Last Saturday I began that journey, and attempted to paint a warp that reflected some of the colors in this phenomenon.  (Just for the record, the panty hose trick worked nicely....the warps I painted rinsed out beautifully, and were NOT so tangled!!!)


The warp went right on the loom and was ready to weave in no time flat!!!  After trying several different threads for the weft, I settled on a deep navy supima cotton.




What a pleasure to weave...watching the colors change and interact...just like I was in a hot tub at midnight in the wilds of the northern hemisphere!  And, I didn't have to travel thousands of miles to experience this!

Once again, I'm making a mental note to self to make the warp just a tad bit longer.  I'm planning on twisting the fringe this weekend and wet finishing will follow.  I think it's going to have a lovely drape.

There's another warp hanging in the laundry room to weave, but I have a plan cooking on the backburner for another project.


This is my first warp wound on the drum winder.  I really do like the ease of turning the drum vs. using the warping board.  It was a lot easier on my shoulder!

I've already got this on the loom ready to thread, and I'll let you know if my little brainstorm works out.  So, I'll be twistin' and threadin' this weekend....kinda sounds like a workout, huh?

In the meantime, happy weaving to you!
LouAnn

8 comments:

roxie said...

Mmmmm - that rocks! In Alaska, they call it "Roaring, boring Alice." Not that anyone ever finds it boring. But it does make noise, sometimes.

Life Looms Large said...

Gorgeous photo and gorgeous scarf!!!

Happy twisting!!

Sue

Bonnie said...

OMG! You are too philosophical this early in the morning. It is a beautiful picture.
That warp is georgeous and made a great scarf. I think that it helps to have a plan when you start dyeing yarn. Have fun dressing the loom.

Anonymous said...

Panty hose trick?

The scarf is lovely.

Theresa said...

Oh what a pretty scarf! Fits the title perfectly. Personally, I want to live where the northern lights can be seen. :) I like it cold, I like very cold.

Linda said...

That scarf is so beautiful!! Please bring it to the center so we can see it in person.

FiberGeek said...

I love your colors but wonder what the Panty Hose trick is. Please share.

Maggie said...

That's amazing, how the scarf so closely resembles the photo. The scarf is simply gorgeous.