Monday, May 10, 2010

Living in the past at Wilderness Road State Park

I had a wonderful time last weekend! My fort hosted a trade fair. This year marks the tenth anniversary of The Raid at Martin's Station. It was very well attended by both reenactors and public. This is the largest event we have ever had! We had two battles with the Indians. One in the early afternoon and one at night. If you have never seen one of these you should make a point to go. The Indians burn cabins, take hostages and try to kill as many of us as they can. We always win, though. We have a cannon which scares them away! :-) There is also the opportunity to go shopping. One can find clothing, cloth, powder horns, leather bags and other items found in the 18th century.

Here is a picture of a painting that was donated to the park on Saturday. That was also when it was unveiled for the public to see. Isn't it awesome? The origional is very large. Can you find where I am in the picture?

Living history is a wonderful thing. Showing the public what it was like to live back then and also teaching them a bit about Daniel Boone and the road to Kentucky is very enjoyable to me. This weekend my son invited a friend to join us. This was his first time to sleep in a rope bed, encounter Indians and eat in a tavern. He loved it!! From now on there will be three of us in my little cabin. Just wait until he finds out he has to haul fire wood and water for me!



Linda

6 comments:

Tuesday Weavers said...

For those who can't tell. I am the last person on the right. I have on a light blue gown and am carrying a wooden bucket.

Linda

Tuesday Weavers said...

Sheesh! I meant left. Maybe I should go and take a nap!

Linda

LA said...

Yeah! The picture has been returned!!! What a great experience for W and his friend!

Tina J said...

I don't see a picture!

Tina J said...

bizzare! It appeared right after I posted!

Bonnie said...

I see the picture. Glad the boys had fun, I know you did too. Love the picture.