Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Wearable Handwovens

Often I come prepared with a plan for the blog, but many times, I don't know what my theme for these posts will be until I walk into the Center and something catches my eye. That is the way it was today, I walked in and from across the room Bonnie's warp was yelling "My turn, My turn!"
You can actually see the book that Bonnie is getting her inspiration from in the corner of the last picture. "Simple Woven Garments" by Sara Goldenberg and Jane Patrick. Here is a picture of the top that Bonnie fell in love with enough to choose colors, wind a complicated warp and set to work weaving the yardage necessary.
Right after that, I was put to work on a finicky brake system, the whole thing unscrews as you weave and advance the warp so that you have to constantly have the screwdriver to hand. Although I didn't fix it totally, all we need is a bolt that is one size narrower than the one we have. That should be easy to find at the hardware store.
Now for show and tell, Pat had a bag that she has made out of a piece of fabric that was too little for a placemat, she will add it to our items to sell for our new building fund.
Jenny made another table runner. She loves how you can do so many different things with the same warp, all that there is left to do is twist the fringe! We love both sides of this fabric!
Patty brought in a cape that her mother had bought in Ireland many years ago. It is still in great shape and she just had to share it with us! She also brought in a scarf that she had finished out of variegated yarn in simple plainweave. She was singing the praises of how quickly this project came off the loom and how nice it was to let the variegated yarn sing in the fabric.
Judith brought in a scarf she had finished at home for us to admire! Variegated yarn to the show again!
Barbara brought in a couple of scarves that she has been working on at home. One of them is sparkly!
In the picture above you can see that Mark brought in a scarf he had taken off the loom at home!(blogger is pitching a fit) Lastly, a commenter asked how one uses a "Bowl Cozie" so I though I would take a picture of one in situ.
Basically you can set your bowl in the microwave sitting on the bowl cozie, that way when the soup is hot and the bowl is hot you can pick it up by the bowl cozie. That is all I have for today, Tina for all

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quite a lot of work on your part, Tina. Thanks