Thursday, July 2, 2020

I S O L A T E

  Towards the end of April, during one of the marathon email exchanges between the Tuesday Weavers, Pat suggested that we try to think of an interesting challenge we could do at home.  She was thinking along the lines of a "name draft" that would be a reminder of this time.
  Name drafts can be tricky for our newer weavers since we couldn't get together to do a tutorial.
  But, something along the lines of this runner that Carl wove for me would do the trick......
  The color lines represent my name:  L - pink   o - red   u - green   A - dark blue    n,n - medium blue
  You'll notice, too, that the pink and dark blue bands are wider since they are capital letters.
  Clever, huh!!!

  So, what word would we like to do? 
Safer At Home  has 11 letters - 9 colors
Quarantine has 10 letters - 8 colors
Coronavirus has 11 letters - 9 colors
Persevere has 9 letters - 5 colors
Isolate has 7 letters and 7 colors 

And, there are seven colors in a rainbow:  ROY G BIV   (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet.)
  So.....our challenge is to use the seven colors in order and weave something....your choice.  It could be a mug rug, a place mat, a table runner, or a rug.   The only rule is that the colors should be in order either as the warp or the weft....so when I look at your item, I know it says ISOLATE!
  Now, this doesn't mean you have to use the BRIGHT colors.....you get to choose the shading/hue/value.  (Insert the correct word!!!)



This is my first attempt...I went with bright.
  I have to admit, I've had a lot of fun playing with draw downs for different weave structures.  I finally settled on Caroline Halvorsen # 30 from Davison's green book.  There are eight different treadlings for that pattern!  So, this could get interesting.



  I've been sampling some different colors for weft, and even tried out using a double strand....I think I like that much better.  Next, I'm going to sample using some gray.

It's nice to be excited about a project.

It's hard spending so much time alone when you're used to seeing your fiber friends once a week!!!!


  Our fiber friend, Ann, who lives in North Carolina now posted this picture on Facebook.  She gave me permission to share it here.  In this region of the country, seeing the rainbow with the mountains in the background gives us hope for tomorrow.
  It brings a smile to your face.

I'll weave my rainbow, and remember that I isolate to protect others (and myself.)

  So......here's your challenge:  weave your rainbow and remember to ISOLATE.

Stay Safe!
LouAnn

No comments: