Friday, December 28, 2018

Just a Bit

I got a chance this week to weave a little bit on the Shag rug for my Granddaughter.  I had used spare minutes over the last couple of weeks to check heddles thread and tie on the warp.  The loom I am using is a 60 inch Leclerc Nilart, fondly called Big Bertha by the Tuesday Weavers.

Bertha had spent a couple of years at the Center and we had done a couple of projects on her, but found her uncomfortable to use, she is wide and heavy to treadle.  Most of us that did a project on her are of the shorter variety of persons.  Then I had a 6x9 rug come up on the "schedule", and at about the same time I heard about a loom that you could treadle standing up.  I had an idea that this might be possible on Bertha, and it is!

The pattern I am using is from "Weavers Craft".  I must admit that I when I had seen that pattern when I first got it, I had no intention of doing it.  But when a granddaughter wants a big bright shag rug, what do you do?



It is a slow process, from cutting the poly fleece to weaving the strips.  I am using one of my warping sticks to wrap the strips around to get a more consistent pile, it is slow but not hard. What you see in the picture is 1 1/2 repeats of the pattern. and there are 25 total repeats on this double sized rug.  Let me refresh your memory on the colors I have prepared.



Yes, it is going to be big and bright, woven on Big Bertha.  Maybe this week I will get through a few of the colors so that we can get a better representation of the finished piece.

Happy New Year,  Tina

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Awesome! Happy New Year Tina!

LA said...

It's started!!!! She's going to love this rug!