Friday, June 1, 2018

Thick and Thin

I have been working a little bit on a commissioned t-shirt rug.  The t-shirts are from the sports history of a friend of ours.  His Mom had saved all of his t-shirts and jerseys from all of the teams he had played on through the years.  I can use the t-shirts for this rug, and I have cut them all into thick loops.   I made 7 matching piles of  loops to make 7 matching pattern repeats.  I was anxious to see if I had enough shirts, or if I would need to supplement with some shirts I have in the stash.






I first wove 2 inches of thinner fabric for a hem and then I wove the first batch of strips to see how much rug it made.  I found that I wanted at least 4 more inches of rug in each section, so I went stash diving......


Since the original t-shirts had special meaning, I tried to follow that theme and I dug out of the stash some t-shirts from our local high school, and them some from the nearby University of Tennessee, and then a couple from our church youth group.
These are schools this young man attended, as well as the youth group he attended, I think this is enough to give me the 4 inches I need to finish the rug, as a bonus it also gave me several more colors to work with.













I finished the first Honiton lace project last week, in time to take it to Weaving on Tuesday.  (I slipped the dime in there to show just how small this piece is.)  I see many errors of course, but that is how I learn what not to do.  I am very please with it and I quickly started my second Honiton lace project.














This piece is not nearly as small as the first, but it introduces some new lace techniques.  I am determined to work my way through the final 3 projects in the book.

 I have worked my way in cloth stitch and half stitch through the top loopy braid of the piece.  I am now on the lower braid section, this has a twisty bit in the middle of the "braid".  Once I get all the way back to the beginning, closing the braid, I will use several different "fillings" to fill in the empty bits inside the woven border.

(I will get some better photos of this piece for next week, and some close ups of the tricky bits as well.)

Until next week, Happy Weaving, Tina

1 comment:

LA said...

What a treasure for this young man! Having this memento of his life to see everyday is such a lovely idea. Great job with your lace!!!