Monday, March 5, 2018

Kumihimo

In January we had scheduled Victoria Walker to teach a class on kumihimo, a Japanese braiding technique. Well, it got snowed out. The snow day was today.
Some people weren't able to take it after all because of the change but others could so there were 10 of us in class.
The start was the usual chaos of people trying to wind their warps and cut, knot ends and generally get things together.
Check out that monster loom. Ok, I forgot the real name for it but it was quite cool, especially when she showed us the braid she was doing. It's about 24 or 30 inches off the floor.
Then it was our turn. Here's mine, all wound up and ready to go. Huge learning curve here!
Notice the concentration!! Not a lot of chatting while we were working on getting the yarns right!
The little fabric bag holds weights that we had to move up as the tape progressed. You can just see a bit of the tape I was doing.
We started at 10am and didn't quit til almost 4 and this is all I got done. Ok, it was supposed to be a lanyard to wear on our wrist but I got carried away and about ran out of warp. You can see the different braids we were working on.
Fun? You bet! It was very enjoyable and I'd take another class. We know how to read patterns now so we should be able to carry on! I'm hoping she develops another class because it's fun to work together and make stuff.
Theresa, I tried to send you an email but doubt it got through. The little wool embroidery wall hangings I make are just for fun and I don't sell them.  However, you can get the pattern and perhaps a kit from wooly lady.com. The pattern is called Birds &Berries Wall Hanging.
Not a lot of weaving going on for me but I hope there is for you.
Until next week, keep weaving.
Carol

1 comment:

Theresa said...

LOL, I treated myself to kumihimo loom, so your post was very timely....