Thursday, February 15, 2018

Hopscotch Or Leap Frog


  At our Fat Tuesday celebration at Weaving, Linda and I were talking about getting ready for Lent.  She asked me if I was going to give up something for the Season.  I'm not too good at giving up things.....I'd rather add something that makes me a better person.  I told her I was thinking about attempting linen.  (Our study group project with the The Key To Weaving is making me a little braver.)  Then, Linda said, "So, you're giving up your fear of weaving linen!"
   She's so smart!!!!

  I started doing my research, and found some great articles in Handwoven about weaving with linen.  In fact, the January/February 2016 issue is all about linen!  I'm still in the process of reading and making notes.



  I especially have enjoy Tom Knisely's article, For The Love of Linen.  I learned that he has a collection of antique linen items, as do I.
  Both of my great-grandmothers were spinners/weavers.  I have items from both of them.  They grew their own flax, and raised sheep for their woven items.  Thank goodness I don't have to produce my own fiber!!!! 
  When you think about how long folks have been weaving with linen, it just makes it more important to me to try and weave with this special fiber.  (And, yes, there is more to this story.....you'll have to wait a few weeks for the rest of it.)

  So, how do you approach a challenge?
  When you were a child, you might have played hopscotch.  You drew your pattern on the playground or sidewalk, and tossed the pebble to advance on the pattern, and turned around to hop back.  If you played leap frog with your friends, you took turns tucking down or hopping over as you advanced willy-nilly around the yard.  As much as I love a "plan" I also love the freedom of hopping around the yard.  So, my research is taking me here and there as I learn.  We'll see where I end up....I just want to give up my fear of weaving with linen.

Happy Weaving!
LouAnn

  
 

3 comments:

Theresa said...

I;ve earmarked and woven a number of things from that issue. It's a good one!
Baby steps, use nice linen Louet makes a nice one or go with cotolin in the warp and use linen for the weft to get a feel for it.
Have fun!

Tina J said...

I suppose I should take this as a challenge, I have been thinking about it ever since we talked about it!

Misty said...

I have a fear of weaving with linen too. I decided that this is the year I need to face my fear. :) Like you, I am doing some reading about it in the hopes that I can make the process as painless as possible.