Thursday, August 24, 2017

Write It Down


 Getting to experience the solar eclipse with my science nerds was the event of a lifetime!  My daughter and her husband are both high school science teachers, and they set up experiments to take readings before, during and after totality.  My SIL had special filters for his camera, and they were planning on coordinating the photos with the temperature and lighting data.



My son, the artist, set up the posterboard so we could watch the little crescents.  They even appeared in the pool!    One piece of posterboard was set in the open so we could observe the solar snakes.


  We had Eclipse Sliders (grilled burgers) for lunch and Eclipse Cake for dessert!  (Any excuse for a pineapple upside-down cake!!!)
  I was thrilled to share this day with my very own nerds!  We had a whole 47 seconds of totality here on the Ridge...and we had all the comforts of home.
  I can't wait to hear how the data that was collected was used in the classrooms!


  I have been wanting to make a scarf with this yarn...I have cast it on my knitting needles at least six times.  The problem is:  I don't knit.
  But, I think I have a solution for my dilemma.  I looked on Ravelry for a crochet pattern that was similar to what I was wanting.  I found a few, and read several blogs.  I also had this issue of Love Of Crochet, which had a scarf with some of the elements I wanted.   I made a little sample, and now I want to write and graph the pattern I want to crochet.  We'll see how it goes.

  What with a birthday dinner for the "boys" and our Eclipse party, I haven't gotten a lot accomplished this week or last.  I've hit a mental snag with my special project....I keep doing the math over and over again. 
  I did have a sample piece that I wove about a year ago, but I wove it on the Rigid Heddle loom.  And, I did NOT write down which heddle I used.  In fact, I didn't make any notes about that piece!!!!
  I'm always reminding new weavers to plan their projects and write down all the information about it. " Keep a weaving journal" I tell them.  I have a journal....but I didn't use it.  I'm going to have trust my math, and go ahead with the project.  The Fall sales are approaching quickly!
  So, I've written this blog (and admitted my faults!)  I'm going to graph that scarf.....then, it's to the loom I have to go and just get this project started.  This time, I've taken careful notes!

Happy Weaving!
LouAnn

1 comment:

Tina J said...

What a fun day, I bet they were so excited! Since I am on the other side of the ridge from you, I had just about the same experience, just without the science. :)