Friday, April 29, 2016

Sheep Shearing Day!

Lou Ann, Joyce, Karin and I converged upon the Museum of Appalachia this morning.  We were there to demonstrate what happens to the fleece once it is off of the sheep.  We got there around 8:30 and were set up and ready to go by 9:00am when the kids started coming.


The sun was warming up the day as we set up the tables for the long day ahead.  They had us in the shade of a line of cedar trees, it worked out really well!   Last year we were in the sun all day long and we were really zapped by the time the event was over.
 I had a table ready to receive the fresh fleeces.  I then explained what I was looking for in a fleece and how I began the process by skirting the icky bits off right away.  I showed them how nice the cut side of the fleece looked and how different it was on the outside of the fleece.









 Then they had set up a basin for me to wash a bit of one of the fleeces.  Once they brought the hot water, I added some Orvus paste and put a small portion of the first fleece.  It wasn't long before I could show the kids the difference between the dirty and the clean fleece.  I was able to also show them how dirty the water gets!








Here is the clean fleece table with the stages of preparation all the way to spinning on a drop spindle.












Finally there is the other side of the booth where the other girls are showing what we do with the yarn.  First Karin brought her spinning wheel to show the progression from the spindle.  Then Joyce and Lou Ann showed off the different weaving tools that they had brought, and Inkle loom, a box loom and a Rigid Heddle loom.








I promise that I was expecting to be able to take pictures of the all the kids that were going to be there and of the sheep shearing itself, but it didn't happen.  I think it might suffice to say that there were at least 1300 kids  plus adults that came through the event.

On the way home we all decided that we needed a nap before we could face the rest of the day, right after we have had the beverage of our choice!  (Mine is sweet tea!)

Until next week, Happy Crafting, Tina

2 comments:

LA said...

Actually, I had a wee nap, a cup of coffee and I checked my email. Ah...life in the fast lane!!!!

Theresa said...

Well, looks like you had a beautiful day and a great demonstration and naked sheep.
What's not to love?