Friday, September 7, 2012

Stash Diving!

Yep, that is 2 bandaged feet you see there!  The right one is taped to support the Plantar Fascia that has been flaring up these last couple of months.  The taping really helps me to be able to walk and get on with life in a normal fashion.  Of course, I am stretching the fascia as well a couple of times a day and rolling my foot on a thick dowel too!


The left foot however I sprained as I was going to the Tuesday Weavers on Tuesday.  As soon as I got there, I iced the silly thing and hobbled around as best I could.  Then on my way home, I went to the drug store and tried on their ankle supports.  One was too small and the other too big, so I settled on an old fashioned 3 inch ace bandage.  It has made all the difference in the world!  If I am taped and wrapped, I can get around really well,  no running however, (poor dogs!) and I have found that I can weave for only a limited amount of time.  Knitting is still good for those times when I am resting the feet, and spinning seems to be okay as well since the Ashford is a double treadle and neither foot gets too much use!

I found myself, however, looking for something new to do!  Something I could do without buying anything!  I  remembered back a couple of years ago, when I was demonstrating at the Blackberry Farm, during their fall event.  There was a lady right beside me, and she was doing the most beautiful, antique looking "Punch Needle" stool covers and pictures, using tiny, shiny ribbon and a punch needle.  I wish I had taken pictures to show you, but I didn't think much of it then.

Then last month, I saw a friend of mine working on a hooked rug, on a fabric background, using 1/4 inch strips of dyed wool fabric in 40 colors!  It was really beautiful!  She used a hook with a wooden handle on it, and patiently pulled a loop from the strip of fabric to the front of the base cloth, made it  the right size  and went on to do the next loop.  Again, no pictures sorry!  I went to the library and got a couple of books on the subject. Two approaches to the same technique, one fine and tiny the other just a larger form.

I started rummaging through my stash to see if I had something that I could practice with, you know to get the general idea, just to get started, and  I came up with a few things.


The first thing I found, believe it or not was a punch needle!  I think it must have come from a donation at the center or something!  That meant that the yarn was going to have to be small.  I kept diving!



Shiny, small, and lots of colors, what could be better!  I knew just what I wanted to do, I could make a coaster with a dark background color and  small circles with many colors in them.  The books called that pattern "Pennies".  I kept diving, I needed some cloth!



This is some cloth that I actually wove myself!  I think it will do the trick!  Now all I need is an embroidery hoop or some sort of frame to stretch this fabric!  Keep diving!  So excited!

Nothing!  Not an embroidery hoop to be seen!  I pulled out an old picture frame and tried to tape the cloth on that with unsatisfactory results.  I can't believe that the stash failed me!

Back to knitting, I need to finish that shawl anyway!


Until next time, Happy Weaving, Spinning and Knitting, Tina

2 comments:

LA said...

Hey...do you need me to run a hoop over to your house???? It seems like you're on a roll, and the hoop is just on the other side of the ridge!

Anonymous said...

No rest for the weaver....rest those tooties and arm yourself with your needles!
On a serious note, be easy on your feet and hope you are up and running soon. Sharen