Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Problem Solving

 Last week, I broke a thread on Big Bertha's warp as I finished the third napkin.  When I sat down this week, I threw the shuttle a couple of times before another thread broke.  I stared at the  warp for a little while, then decided the best solution was to cut it off and tie back on.  I did, wove one napkin and called it a day.
 




back of the warp



front of the warp
Then, I went home to see if I could successfully solve the problem with that huck lace warp.  What I saw surprised me, but definitely explained the tension problem I've been having.  Do you see the Weft-shaped indentations in the warp?  Obviously, a tightly wound warp in front of a window is a lovely place for a cat nap, and dear Weft has been doing just that.  Unwoven bamboo is stretchy, so I think it will be difficult to get the overall tension fixed on this warp.

Weft in hiding
A couple of people at the center expressed horror that I even let the cats in the loom room, and while I'll still let them in, I think some safeguards are in order for the future.  I'll try a good, sturdy cover for the looms with projects in progress, and see how that goes.  Meanwhile, Weft is traveling incognito in a shopping bag.
 




One of my team members at work was keeping her 21st birthday a secret this past week, and when I found out, I decided to make her a Birthday Stocking.  Never heard of it?  Neither had I, but maybe I've started a new tradition.  I hadn't sewn anything in ages, and it was fun to throw it together.  I don't have much quilting fabric left, having donated most of it to the Center, but I had some of Gisell's favorite color, found some glitzy embroidery thread and whipped it up.  It was a lot of fun, and gave me lots of ideas for future Birthday Stockings.




 After I posted last week, I went to work to have dinner with one of my heroes, Ruth Reichl.  Ms. Reichl was the Editor in Chief at Gourmet magazine for ten years before Conde Naste pulled the plug three years ago.  All the artisans met this past Wednesday to have dinner with her, each bringing something from the upcoming Blackberry Farm cookbook.  I brought coconut cream pie, which looked beautiful, but stuck fast to the pan!  At least the coconut cream was yummy!  The dinner was fun, and we all had a good time.
  Next week, I'll be back at that warp, weaving more napkins and thinking ahead to Lee's Surrender.  Carol's ordered the yarn, and I'm already computing how many repeats I'll need.  Until next week, happy weaving!
Maggie

5 comments:

LA said...

Oh Yes!!! I'm looking forward to seeing Lee's Surrender on Big Bertha!!! My cats haven't really bothered my looms (knock on wood!) but they do like to lay on woven items!!!

Bonnie said...

That pie looks yummie. Poor Weftie, he means no harm.

Theresa said...

Love the idea of a birthday stocking and that's a fun one for sure! My cat doesn't care for being on the loom but does love the padded benches.

Tina J said...

That pie looks wonderful! I don't have any inside anImals to mess with stuff, and that is probably a good idea for me, I get into enough mess as it is! :)

Sharon said...

I love Ruth Reichl. I've read all her books and always enjoy her as a critic on Top Chef. Lucky you!