Wednesday, June 29, 2011

How Many Looms is Too Many?

  A common theme at Tuesday Weaving is discussing how we acquired and where are we going to put new looms.  Every week, it seems someone has found a loom on ebay or craig's list or just with our ears to the ground, and it comes home with someone.  Sometimes I feel jealous of those who either have the money to buy new ones, or who just seem to be in the right place at the right time to get a windfall loom.  But, really, how many looms do I need?
  As many of you know, I work more than a full week, every week.  I sometimes only see my looms because my house is shaped like an O, and I have to pass through the Loominaria, just to get to the living room.  I usually spend, on average, an hour weaving every week, unless I go to Norris, as I did yesterday.  Yesterday, I spent most of my 4 1/2 hours there threading B with that lovely New Mexican Sunset warp.  I chatted with LouAnn, caught up with Pat and heard Carol's road stories.
  At home, I sit in my lovely Loominaria, looking out at the flowers on the front porch, working on the current project and dreaming of future ones.  I own three looms.






This is my Artisat.  I love dear Jenny, my Artisat.  She works so hard and does pretty much whatever I ask of her.






This is my Navajo loom.  I had it made for me by the kind guys at Anderson Lumber in Alcoa.  This is the one and only warp I've ever had on it.  Wally, in the photo at the foot of the loom, one day decided the rug I was weaving made a great scratching post.  I still have the rug, but I don't have Wally anymore.  I can't part with the partial rug because it reminds me of him.  I have grand plans for my next warp on it, cat-proof and easy enough to finish.  Now, I need the time.



And this is the Colonial, complete with cats.  It took me a year to weave the rug on it!  All three of these looms take up an entire room, plenty for one weaver who can only spend a few hours a week with them.
  My Tuesday Weaver friends weave all day, many days and make such amazingly beautiful things with their looms.  Some have garages full, some have them tucked away all over the house and some have--okay, just one has--an entire house for them.  But most of us have just a little time and a little space for what we can squeeze in.

  The right amount of looms is what we can make space and time for.  For some of us, that's one in the living room, just in the right place to stay connected with our family.  For some, it's a few, ready with warps of different complexity, for when we're ready to give them our time.  For others, it's a smorgasbord of possibilities to take us into a new career.  How many looms is too many?  How many looms is just the right amount?

5 comments:

LA said...

Great question, Maggie! I think I've hit my limit, but don't hold me to it! I've finally been able to put those long, multi-purpose warps on a loom. I don't have to worry so much about weaving them off so I can start a brand new project....

Anonymous said...

For years I just wove on my 45" Nilus LeClerc. I didn't think I needed another loom. I think when we get together as a group like we do, we kind of egg each other on, see what the others are doing and get loom envy. I think you have the perfect number of looms. They are there for when you have the time and energy to create on them. Don't let anyone make you feel inferior or
make you push yourself to do more than you have the energy for. Weaving is your other creative outlet. Being a chef is your primary responsibility now. You're good at cooking and the weaving is there when you have time to throw the shuttle for that hour. The warps will gradually get done. Altho your weaving wish list will probably get longer as all of ours do when we get a new magazine or book or go to a conference, you will have the satisfaction of cutting off finished projects. Just might take a bit longer than you'd like. I've had a warp on a loom for longer than I'd like. Life is keeping me from weaving right now too. I hate that and look longingly at Nilus as I walk by him...
Carol

KarenInTheWoods said...

ROFL at the "comes home with someone" remark... tee heeee and I know WHO you meant!!!

Poor Carol had to haul it all 1,000+ miles back to Tennessee, just because I mentioned to Linda that perhaps she wanted it? hahahahhaha

Yup, a WHOLE HOUSE... how spoiled can she get?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

Bonnie said...

Everybodys needs/desires are different. Right now I can't do what I want on any loom. It also depends on your plans. Is weaving an outlet, for fun, for production or a hobbie? I think that could determine how many and what kind of looms you might need or want. My needs are mine and nobody elses. Everybody's needs, wants, desires are different.

Anonymous said...

Roxie sez,

Too many is two more than you currently own. Howeverr many that may be,