Monday, November 29, 2010

Weft Terrorizes Warp!

Yesterday, I finally made time to work on the turned overshot.  I was 45 threads short on the yellow, though I see from my notes that I knew I needed 208.  I have no idea how that happened, but I wound 46 more yellow threads and STILL ended up 6 short!  I am not good at math, but I had no idea I could be that bad.  Nevertheless, the threads are hanging behind the loom--no photos, too ugly--and I scrimped on one side of the daisy.  I was ready to start the green to finish the design, when I pulled up the next bundle of white to thread at the same time.
Ugh!  That's a pretty serious wad of tangled mess!  I didn't have the strength to face it, and took Bella to the park to play ball.
A weaver who names her cat Weft is asking for trouble.  But Weft has grown up in the loominaria, watching me weave, thread, wind, have bouts of cursing and times of pure, zen-like joy.  He probably thinks everyone should get a hand, um, paw in the threads.  And I did leave fat, tempting hanks of thread hanging down from the loom for months, unguarded.  As I threaded yesterday, he leaped up into the back threads, and instead of getting the camera to record such cuteness, I yelled NO! and scared him away.  Probably better for the warp, but it was pretty cute.




  I will spend the next week untangling the Weft-influenced threads and begin the journey through the kitchen curtain, possibly assisted by fluffy Weft.  If he does anything adorable, I'll be sure to document it.  Until then, HappyWeaving!
Maggie

 

5 comments:

LA said...

I remember when Weft was just a tiny ball of fluff....and now he's HUGE! Surely he had nothing to do with that tangle of threads!!!

Tina J said...

Maggie, He is so cute! Before you try to untangle the threads, give the whole lot of them a good tug or two,(ala Laura Fry) you would be surprised how much that helps straighten those threads up!

roxie said...

Weft is adorable! And yes, weaver's cats do learn what is unforgivable and what is merely cute.

Happy overshots. I hate it when the counts don't come out, but the first few throws will no doubt show where the numbers went wrong.

Bonnie said...

No, never. Weft would never make that mess. He is so cute. Like Tina said, give it a little tug. Hope that works.

Theresa said...

Such a handsome ball of adorable fluff he is! That warp though, please, pics when you get it tamed. That one will give me nightmares....