Friday, January 25, 2019

Two Years Later

Way back in  February of 2017,  LouAnn and I were on a road trip to Asheville NC.  We were to meet a person who I knew from Ravelry, Janice, and deliver a wheel that I had picked up for her, somewhere.  (I am hazy on the details here because I have made several pick ups and deliveries over the last few years.)  Anyway, the thing that does stick in my mind was that while we were on our way there, I was trying to explain to LouAnn about a "new" kind of floor inkle loom that I had just heard about that week.   It was different than any other inkle loom I had ever seen.  There was a spool for the warp  and then there was a spool for the finished band both of those spools were on each side of one post and the warp went from one spool to the next, going around the far post.  I had been doing a bit of searching on the net and I knew that the loom was from Leksand, Sweden, but I was not having any luck at all in finding even a whisper about these looms here in the states.

We were soon in Asheville at Alan and Milissa Dewey's place, I was outside delivering the spinning wheel to Janice, and then chatting to Alan (Bobbin Boy) when LouAnn, who had been chatting to Milissa inside came running out telling me that I had to see what Milissa had in her Studio!  Sure enough it was a Leksand band loom!  I got a chance to sit down and try my hand at weaving from the side.







I soon realized that it was going to take some time to get the hang of this sideways style of weaving.   However I was more determined than ever to find one for my very own.

I continued my search, even looking for plans to build one online, to no avail.  Finally early last Fall, I contacted Milissa about having the loom that they had replicated.  I had a spinning wheel that I knew she was interested in, and I thought we might be able to do some bartering.  She agreed!






The wheel I had to barter with was an antique Irish Castle wheel.  I real unusual style of wheel, and this wheel had been to see Alan for some work when I had first acquired it.












Today, almost 2 years later, LouAnn and I were once again in the car on our way to Asheville to make the swap, my wheel for the Leksand band loom.









The loom fit easily into the back of my van.  You can see the warp spools to the right and the Inkle heddle peg post in the center.  (The weaver sits on the other side of this loom.)











 I got the loom inside and like most things I bring into the house I got a picture of it against the bead board wall of my kitchen.







I will be sanding and finishing the loom in the next week or so, I am going to try to not put a warp on before I do that because I know that if I don't do the finishing first, it won't happen!  The loom is all in American Cherry and it should age beautifully.  I will not be painting it and that is for sure.







If you would like to see this type of loom being used there is a fabulous video on YouTube called "Inkle weaving my way"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6WJss9ipFY

This happens to be the video that got me started on my search.  Your welcome!

Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina

2 comments:

LA said...

Just think of the long warps you can put on that loom! Wow! This will be fun.

Maggie said...

How cool is that??? Please keep us updated!