Friday, October 26, 2018

Shag in the making

napkin in 16/2



The napkins are almost ready to deliver, all that is left to do is make some labels and I may tie them in a couple of bundles with a handwoven band. (Oops, I just saw a skipped thread, I need to tend to!)

1 dozen



My daughter that is a graphic designer was in town last week and while she was here she went to Joanne's with me and helped me pick out the poly fleece I needed for the Shag rug I am making.  Joanne's was having a 1/2 off sale on fleece, so it was really good timing on our part!   My granddaughter said that she wanted the rug to be colors of the rainbow.

stuffed shopping cart 





I thought that I was going to need 7 colors, but it turns out that all I will need is 6 colors. So I needed to decide which color to leave out.  I consulted Dear One (good with color) and he suggested I leave out the eggplant color, so that is what I am going with.











cutting, cutting, cutting


Yesterday and today set up my trusty fabric cutter and set to work.  I need to cut all of this fleece into 1/2 inch strips.  I am not sure if I will weave them in strip form or go ahead and cut the strips in 4 inch lengths, but I am sure leaning that way.  I think I will do a little bit of sampling to make sure.


small pile of strips






       







three bags full?


I had to do some work with colored pencils to get the new color order to work, (the colors intermesh a lot in this rug) but once again consulting Dear One we made the necessary changes  in the color order and I really think that these colors will all play together nicely.


I finished cutting the pink and the red into strips today, and I expect to finish the other 4 colors by the end of next week.  Then I will check to see that I have enough heddles on the first 4 shafts of the 60inch Leclerc, Big Bertha. I need 120 heddles for each of the 4 shafts.
 I will hopefully be able to thread and tie on to the front apron before I go see my Mom November 9th, so that once I get home on the 18th,  I will be ready to weave.



There is no due date on this rug, and I am glad because for the last few months weaving time has been hard to come by.  I expect though that I will be more than a little bit excited to finally get started throwing the shuttle, and as fiddly as this type of weaving is, it is very satisfying.

Until next week, Happy Weaving, Tina


1 comment:

Theresa said...

My heavens I don't think I'll ever be ambitious enough to try that at home! But I applaud you for going for it and am excited to see your shag creations!