Friday, December 8, 2017

New to me Warping Trick

I was doing a bit of research this week and I ran across a tip on a blog by Peggy Ostercamp.  It was one of her top 10 warping tips, which I have read a couple  times over the last year or two, but I somehow had missed this little tidbit.  She was talking about warping "back to front" and suspending the lease sticks for threading, and there it was, in this post, "How to thread without mistakes: Part One"




I am not sure how I could have missed it really, it was all right there in the diagram.  The lease sticks are to be suspended from above so that the cross is vertical and easier to see and access.  I have never heard of this before, but I must say that it is a brilliant idea!

 There is a window behind the loom that back lights the warp nicely and something I am going to remember for the next warp.  The threads to the right just need a wee tug to get them untangled.



The threading is in progress on this project, kitchen towels with green stripes this time.  I will again be using plain weave for a really clean crisp look.  Oh, and by the way, the new inserted eye heddles are sliding along nicely and making this the easiest threading session this loom has ever had.

This loom has a sectional warp beam, but I chose to wind on this warp in the normal manner.  I was careful to make sure that the 1 inch sections on the beam were utilized, and with only 10 yards to put on this time, it went well.  If I were to do a longer warp I think I would set up a trapeze with weights.  In fact I am toying with the idea of seeing if I can actually fit 3 of the 100yd warps on this back beam, it is the normal Leclerc size warp beam and rakes, does anybody have any experience with a warp that long (in 12/3 cotton) on sectional rakes?

If I maintain the same width as I am using now, I can fit 3 chains  of the 12/3 cotton across the width of the beam, filling in the colored stripes by using spools on the spool rack.  If I weight the chains and the spools, using the trapeze of course, I may be able to empty a tub or two, with one really long project.  Of course then I would have 100yd kitchen towel project on the loom.

When I weave kitchen towels I tend to weave yardage that I measure and cut apart, serge and hem before washing.  This saves me from having to keep track of how long each towel is as I weave.  Mindless plain weave for yards and yards,  of course I could do some twill if I wanted to, but for now it is plain weave all the way.

I almost finished threading today, but found that an "extra" white thread I had found in the middle of the stripe sequence,  really needed to be there after all, smack dab in the middle of the warp. (Sigh)  I got a bit of the rethreading done, and decided it was time to check the wood stove and the pasta sauce that was simmering on the stove.  It was a good thing I did, because the sauce was done and the fire was almost out!

Until next week, Happy Weaving, Tina


1 comment:

LA said...

If you need help winding on, let me know. That sounds like a good project for after the holidays!