Friday, July 7, 2017

Gradient Shawl

A month ago I posted about some gradient yarn I had recently finished spinning.  I was anxious to get it on the rigid heddle but I wanted to get a few more projects ready to weave before I started.  Today however, I received a really nice big and sturdy Squirrel cage swift in the mail.  I had been looking for one for quite some time, and I had a smaller version, but it was not as sturdy or as tall as what is required for this job.



 This is the smaller warp skein on the swift, I was sure that it was really going to be nice to use this swift for warping the rigid heddle, and I was right!  The yarn fed very smoothly off of the swift and I was able to move the swift easily as needed so that there was little friction on the yarn.





I soon had the warp ready to wind on, I used every bit of that small skein to fill every dent and hole on the loom.   I really like it so far!




I evened up the ends and then threaded thru the heddle.











I put the large weft skein on the swift so that I could load the ski shuttles from it.  In order to keep the color sequence, I will load one of the shuttles and then rewind it onto a second ski shuttle.




I started weaving with the dark end of the large skein, and I was able to get almost all of the darkest color on one shuttle.  I don't know if I will get to use all of the large skein, but I know I have 96 inches to weave, and I am hoping that I have enough to get there.








It feels good to get a project long in the planning stages finally on the loom.  I am ready with at least one more handspun shawl, and then I thought I would tackle that red and black handspun that has been ready for quite some time.  It is a little thicker yarn than I usually use but maybe I could use something really thin for weft, and it would enhance it rather than overwhelm it.  Stay tuned!

Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina

2 comments:

LA said...

You have worked hard to get to this point!!! It's looking great!

Theresa said...

How beautiful! Right now I'm spinning some gradient roving for TdF. Hope it comes out as nicely as your yarn did.