Friday, January 22, 2016

More Snow

This morning, most of the snow from Wednesday was gone!  I have a wonderful little car that seems to do well in the snow, so when I have to go out in it, I can.  But, when I get the chance, I like nothing better than staying home and working on projects of all kinds.

This weekend will be filled with knitting on my Sweater/Coat, I am almost done with the second sleeve and hope to finish it before Sunday,  I will then start on the back.   Every once in awhile I will see an error that simply needs fixing before I go on, but they are few and far between.  I do not have the pattern memorized, but it just takes a glance at the chart and I know what needs to be done.

The back of this sweater has a more complicated pattern on it and many more stitches!  I will be using circular needles instead of long straight needles.  I really should do a swatch to make sure that the gauge will be the same, maybe I will do that tonight so that it can dry before I need to cast on.

Today, as I was at the Walmart to pick up a few things, I picked up some Pellon tracing paper.  I am determined to sew up a couple of skirts with the fabric and the patterns I have on hand.  To help me with the total brainwashing necessary for me to enjoy this kind of activity, I have purchased a book written by Carolyn N.K. Denham of Merchant and Mills.  It is the "Elementary Sewing Skills" book, and I found it used online.



It goes through the most elemental sewing terms and techniques, which for me is perfect.  I am no stranger to my sewing machine, but we do not know each other very well at all!  I have purchased a couple of the dress patterns from M&M, but I hesitate to start off using them.  Today, while the  freezing rain is falling outside, I went through my old patterns and chose out a skirt pattern that according to the measurements on the back of the envelope, should fit me.  Never mind that the number on said pattern size is not at all what I buy when I purchase ready to wear!    (I won't tell you in which direction those numbers went!)

I traced off the first pattern piece and held it up to my body.  There was no way that I would be able to sew a seam and still have the thing go around my body!  I ended up adding an inch to each piece, in order to accomplish this feat.  I am using some fabric that is in a wrap around skirt that I will never ever wear again, (especially now since it is all cut up!) but I know it is washed and dried.

I brought the featherweight downstairs to warm up for awhile before I begin sewing, I figure a cold sewing machine would be fussier than a warm one.

I suppose that tonight, I am sewing my first wearable muslin, I hope I can wear it!

Until next time, Happy Crafting, Tina

1 comment:

LA said...

You go, girl!!! Figuring out what size to use might be the biggest hurdle. It's a great snowy weekend to play inside!!!