Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Bobbins

First of all, I'd like to thank Anonymous for identifying the mystery object in Tuesday's blog.  (Did you hear a lot of head slaps????)  Of course, it's a sweater blocker!!!!  We just knew someone out in blogland would know what it was.

  You know what the object on the left is....it's a bobbin.  Can you tell how long it is?   Apparently I couldn't tell....I bought a dozen of them thinking it would fit my large Schacht shuttle.  Little did I realize that my large shuttle ISN'T the largest shuttle!!!!!

****I don't know why this came in sideways!!!!!

  My new bobbin is on the right in this picture.  Come to find out, it is a 6 inch bobbin.....my other LARGE one is a 5 inch bobbin.
  How wonderful to have a dozen......I'm always looking for an empty bobbin.  But, I didn't have a shuttle for it.



  Yes.....I ordered a new 15 inch shuttle to go with my bobbins!!!!!

  When I first started weaving, I didn't have a preference for what kind of shuttle I used....I just wanted to weave.  I know that Carol prefers her Leclerc shuttles, and Tina likes her end feed shuttles with the pirns. 
  The more I wove, the more I learned that I really liked the way the Schacht shuttle fit my hand....and I liked the balance, too.  Slowly, but surely, I have added more of the Schacht shuttles to my collection.  I even have a 9 inch mini that I use with the rigid heddle, and a double bobbin  one I use for overshot.  I think I'm good on bobbins for awhile, though.  I just need to empty the thread from past projects.............


  Tina and I were at the Museum yesterday (she had that cute little red wheel!)  I was preparing the old warp on the Rocker Beater loom to tie on for a place mat warp.  The warp chain on the right will get tied on tomorrow morning, and maybe I'll even get it wound on the warp beam.  There are two different school groups coming tomorrow (third graders) so there will be lots of talking going on in the Loom House. 
  My plan is to secure the lease sticks to the front beam while I tie the ends.  Then, I should be able to work the knots through the reed and heddles.
  I have prewashed the fabric for the weft, and I'm ready to get going.  It seems like a logical thing to weave placemats at the Museum that we can use for the Fall sales.
  Now.....I need to empty some of my rag shuttles to wind the weft for the Museum project.  It's always something!!!!
Happy Weaving!
LouAnn

3 comments:

Tina J said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina J said...

I think that is the best way to deal with the problem of having bought bobbins that are too big, why did i not ever think of that!

Theresa said...

And you just reminded me I should pick up more 6" bobbins since I do have a couple of shuttles that take them! :-)