Monday, December 29, 2014

Now I can show it!

This past summer while I was in Canada, I found out about a quilt shop, The Missouri Star Quilt Company. It sounded intriguing and I checked the map......I could just take a bit of a jag and stop by there. I had no idea what I was in for! I thought it would be one building. Nope. It was 4 shops and I understand they've added a fifth, all in a small town off the beaten track. This is a destination shop. You could spend all day there. I had a couple of hours to explore.

Do you remember Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer? Well, it's the 50th anniversary and one of the shops had fabric for it.
I buy without a plan. I see something I like, buy enough to make "something" and then figure it out, buying a bit more of something that will blend with it if necessary. I know I bought a layer cake (a stack of 10 inch squares) plus 3 pieces of a yard each and then 2 yards for the backing.

My daughter loves Rudolph. She may be an adult but everyone needs something warm to cuddle with that reminds you of good stuff. So I made her a throw for Christmas. It's about 52 by 70 inches, enough for a throw on the couch. First, I had to figure out what to do with those squares. I didn't have alot of time to fool with it so I just planned to have a 4 patch and cut some of the 10 inch squares and shuffled them to make nice blocks. Sashing between the blocks and a tiny squares inbetween set the blocks off nicely.

 Even got my corners to match pretty good! Who wouldn't love the snowflakes, Rudolph, all the words printed on the fabric.....
 I got the front done without any problem. However, I had to have a backing. I only had 2 yards for that which was fine for the length but not the width. So I used what I had and jerry rigged a back that worked.
 I really like the main backing fabric. DD loved all the familiar figures on it!
I did have to buy fabric for binding. I just didn't have enough left for that. I figure I did pretty good surprising her with a childhood memory.

I haven't gotten any weaving done and may not until next week due to family obligations here but like all of us, my mind is filled with plans of what to weave next and how to make the yarn I have work with the ideas floating around!!
Until next week, enjoy family and if you get a chance, work on your loom!
Carol

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

What a nice thoughtful gift. I love it. Yes, you did a great job with what you had.

Bonnie said...

Happy New Year!