Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Synchronicity

I am taking a class on becoming "unblocked" as an artist, based on the book called The Artist's Way, by Julie Cameron.  We talked tonight a lot about synchronicity, and how it seemed to several of us that taking the class didn't start things to unfold to us artistically, but seemed to coincide with things opening up to us. 
  I haven't felt particularly blocked in any way artistically.  Rather, too much comes at me at once.  The things I want to do get in the way of other things I want to do.  I want to knit, write, weave, plant, sew and go hiking.  I have so many interests, finding the time for them all is the problem.  I have only recently begun to write, and writing it has opened up so many other things to me.
  Yesterday, I asked a few people about what weaving magazines and books would have been available to someone in the mid 1960's to early 1970's, and LouAnn was quickly digging out all the possibilities for me.  She pulled out Mary Meigs Atwater's autobiography-turned-biography by Mary Jo Reiter and Veronica Patterson.  Mrs. Atwater helped enormously in the revival of hand weaving in the 1910's and 1920's, teaching weaving first as occupational therapy to returning soldiers from World War I, then to people in need of income, as well as people simply interested in learning to weave. 
  Of course, we know she made a huge impact on what we weave and how we weave today.  But that was simply one chapter in her fascinating life.  If you haven't read it, please do.  She herself said that it was as though she had led nine lives, so varied and adventurous.
  I don't know if any of that will make it into my own story, but I'm glad I read it.  And that's half the fun of it.  I have spent the last two weeks immersed in studying Prescott, Arizona in the early 1970's, remembering some, but using the internet and my mother's memories to make my story's setting accurate.  Probably not even one-fourth of what I've researched will end up in the story, but oh!  the fun I've had doing it!
  It's the serendipity of it all, of life, really, that keeps things interesting.  We go down a path, thinking we know where we're going, and ending up in a completely different place.  Sometimes the surprise is unpleasant and we're determined not to enjoy it, but somehow, sometimes, it grows on us.  We find we've settled into it.  And soon, then, it will change.
  I've given into the idea of warping the huck weave placemats front to back, reverting to my old ways.  And as soon as I remember how to get started, I will!  And maybe I'll like that better and not go back!  Or maybe I'll learn a new way to do it altogether.  Either way, I'll be happy, weaving.  I hope you will be, too!
Maggie

2 comments:

LA said...

I am really looking forward to reading your story. Will this be a novel or a short story???? Either way, I'm sure you'll be able to weave some fiber into your story.

Bonnie said...

You are one of the most creative & artistic person I have ever known.