Thursday, July 7, 2011

Random thoughts

I have been thinking a lot about my looms lately ever since Maggie asked the question, how many looms are too many. I really liked the comment Roxie made, two looms more than you currently own. That is a great answer! The thing is....each loom is special to me. When I look at a loom I remember the person who sold it to me. They will never be forgotten because their loom is right there for me to see every day.

One of the looms I own is a Gilmore. I bought it from Allan, one of the Tuesday Weavers. He is a wonderful man and he is my Christian brother. Not only do I get to see him on Tuesdays but I also get to see he and his wife Sharon on Sundays! The other thing I remember when I look at this loom is when I bought it. Last year I had both knees replaced. I spent four days in the hospital and then twenty four days at a convalescent facility where I received lots of physical therapy. I bought the loom the day after I came home!

Two of my looms I have bought from Karen in the woods. A Tools of the Trade table loom and a Newcomb Studio loom.  http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/
I met Karen years ago on line through a yahoo rug group when I bought a sectional loom and didn't know how to use it. Karen took me under her wing and taught me everything I needed to know. She even sent me a great video! For the longest time I called her the best friend I had never met! We eventually did meet. She was able to come here to visit three times and now I have been to her house for a visit.

Another loom I have is a Structo eight harness table loom. I bought this one from another friend, Rosie. I met Rosie through the same group I met Karen on. I remember the first time we met. She was working at Dollywood and asked the group if anyone wanted to meet for lunch. I told her I would love to. We planned to meet at a restaurant and she described herself to me. My first thought was that the description sounded like me! When I got to the restaurant I was looking around when I heard a voice say, "Right behind you". LOL. There she was! We have been friends ever since. I always look forward to October when we can meet again.

Then there is the Lervad #2 loom. It is the prettiest loom I have ever seen. I found this loom in an ad and my son and I drove to middle Tennessee to meet the owner. She was downsizing and moving to Florida. In researching this loom I discovered it's ties to the Hull House in Chicago. Janet Meany was a great help in my research. Janet and I have emailed each other a lot over the years and I finally got to meet her at Midwest recently. Even though I did not buy this loom from Janet I will always think of her when I look at it.

I could go on and tell you about the other looms but you get the idea. So, what is the answer to the question of how many looms is too many? I can't really say. The answer would be different for every weaver. It would depend on how much time you have to weave, how many different things you want to weave and how much room you have.

I know that someday I will have to give up most of these looms. The decision will be a hard one but hopefully that day isn't anytime soon. So until then I will weave on each and every one of them and remember people who are special to me.


Linda

6 comments:

LA said...

One of the reasons I name my looms is that I get to keep the connection with the person that owned it last. I can almost feel John beating the weft with me at the rug loom....and Ms. Emily whispers all kinds of creative ideas when I'm on the 8 shaft Schacht. They each have their own special place in my home.

KarenInTheWoods said...

awww shucks (dragging my toe in the dirt)

Tina J said...

Very well put Linda, that is exactly how I feel about it!

Bonnie said...

So true.

Maggie said...

Beautiful! Plus, that's what that other house if for, isn't it? Linda's home for wayward looms!

Anonymous said...

Roxie sez
Oh what stories these looms could tell! So many things are disposable now. Sofas that aren't worth recovering, TVs that are obsolete in five years, shoes that barely last aeason. Looms build a history. Looms, like heirloom china and antique furniture, carry traces of their previous owners. Looms last!