Wednesday, July 14, 2010

CAAS 2010

We just finished hosting the 26th annual Chet Atkins Appreciation Society Convention in Nashville. I know it's not weaving, but it's the other major event that I'm involved in each year. We had almost 1500 people come. I have people pre register but then we have alot that just show up because they know that "Carol will take care of us"! I couldn't do it without my crew!! They come from Florida, Texas, Tennessee and Ontario! The newest couple has helped me for 15 years. Talk about dedication and commitment. These guys have it!I don't get to see any of the music during the week. The convention starts on Wednesday morning and goes through Saturday evening. The only time I see the music is Saturday evening. I took a picture from the stage as people were settling in. There's room for a thousand people. Not that many stayed for the concert but it's still an impressive bunch! First up, Bobby Bare. He sang and told stories about Chet. It's always interesting to hear them.A big treat was seeing Eddie Pennington play. Of course this year he had to have some help from his 5 year old grandson who's not shy at all and has just been playing since Christmas. That child has inherited a musical ability!!Valerie Duchateau comes from Paris. She's the best classical guitar player I've ever heard. She makes it sound so great.This year the guys presented a whole album that Chet had recorded in the 50s. It was called Chet in Hollywood. There were 13 songs on it and this string quartet from Lexington had arranged the songs so they sounded like an orchestra. The guys all took turns playing. It was a very peaceful hour and it was good to just let the music flow. Great musicians!Scottie Moore who played with Elvis for years has retired from playing guitar. He gave my DH his guitar that Chet had given him. Scottie toured the world with this guitar. It was lost twice but always came back to him. If it could talk....This year we gave a young up and coming guitar player a new guitar. This guy isn't excited about it, is he? Then I caught him a few minutes later when a bunch of the next generation of players sitting beside the stage. They come from San Diegl, Wales, Australia and Georgia! We like to encourage these guys. They eat up the music! Love it!So, I didn't get much sleep. Talked to a ton of people, kept things running the whole time and just had a blast. I just tried to give you a glimpse of what we do. We had over 60 performers and workshop people. 3 stages, 2 workshop rooms, 3 vendor areas and lots of music all over the place.  No weaving. Took my inkle loom along and didn't touch it.
So, this is after midnight so I can say it's Wednesday. Later this morning I"ll be heading over to Asheville to set up my booth for the Southern Highland Craft Fair at the civic center. It runs from Thursday through Sunday. I'll try to take my camera along and see if I can get a few pictures to post next week.
No rest for this person!!!
Carol

4 comments:

Linda said...

Now I am really sorry that my son and I had to miss it this year! What a wonderful gift for DH!!Such a treasure!

LA said...

....and a good time was had by all!!! I'm glad you had such a wonderful time with good friends--old and new!

Bonnie said...

Sounds like loads of fun. Maybe one day you will get some rest. Maybe.

Tina J said...

I wish we could have made it this year! Maybe next year we can.