Friday, May 21, 2010

rug rescue!

A couple of months ago, I did some rug rescue for one of our clients.  The fringe on her 20 year old rugs had worn away and some of the warp itself had to be replaced.  I spent several hours on those rugs and they turned out very well.

A week or so ago, she came back, and brought a newer rug for me to shorten.  She wanted 10 inches off the rug.  Carol suggested that I take 5 inches off of each side, and use those 5 inches as the new fringe.  We would lose the binding picks, but it needed to be done.
I cut off the old fringe and began to unweave the BJ weft.

I then began to knot the fringe as tightly as I could.I decided that I needed to double knot it since we lost the hem picks.  I think it finishes it a little better.

Close-up shot of the new fringe.

Final shot of finished rug.  I had to moisten the fringe for it to relax enough to get those ends trimmed.  You can also see how much BJ weft we will add to our stash to make more rugs!

My hotwater heater went out yesterday.  As the old one was being replaced I went upstairs to the studio and got some designing done. Yippee!  I am adapting some plainweave structures to my floor looms.

Wally was so helpful to the workmen yesterday, they couldn't have done it without him!

Happy Weaving, Tina


LA said...

You did a great job with those rugs! I know Wally enjoyed helping the repair guys with the water heater. He's just a helper pup!!!

Anonymous said...

You did a terrific job!!! I know the owner will be very pleased.

You have inspired me to use my inkle loom! I am reading up on how to warp it. I will bring it on Tuesday.


Bonnie said...

Wow that was a great job making the rugs shorter. Yesterday was a trying day. Glad you found some time to design and weave.

Maggie said...

Very nice work!

Theresa said...

It looks great! Nice job and glad the assistant was helpful. :)