Monday, June 27, 2016

Lace class

I spent Thursday,Friday and Saturday making bobbin lace. Lace is a slow process. It can be complicated, too. So many steps to be done in a certain order but once meticulously done, the results are pretty cool. We had two things going for us. Even if you have a ton of bobbins on your pillow, you work with only four at a time. The second is that we have an awesome teacher who flies out from California each year to teach us. Louise Colgan is the most patient person I know. If you lace, I highly recommend taking a class with her.
Instead of each of us bringing our lunch, Helen orders food trays for us and we sit together for half an hour or so, chatting and relaxing.
This year there were 11 students. Because we couldn't fill the class with just us, we spread the word and got 3 students from Georgia and one from Mississippi. Valerie's birthday was Saturday so we had to have cake!! Helen is on the right. She organizes the class for us.
So what can you get done in three days? I took some pictures Saturday afternoon. I didn't get pictures of all the pillows but here are a few. The iris is a beautiful flower. See the dots? Those are where pins will go. Your pattern is simply a series of dots. Thankfully we get a packet of instructions on how to connect the dots with our threads. We use silk  thread, like the kind you sew with, only strong silk which doesn't break easily as you manipulate it.
This is Louise's iris. It will take them ages to finish, but it's going to be beautiful.
Like me, Roberta doesn't have time to make lace. I think she's worked on this dogwood for three classes. I didn't get a better picture of it because you always cover the pins to on the pillow already to keep the thread from snagging. It's so close to being done!!
This seahorse is almost done. I made the seahorse years ago and started another one. I'm looking forward to being done with other projects so I can finish my second one. I'd like to make 3 and frame them. It's on my list anyway.
This is what I decided to make. The bluebonnet. Notice the beads? It's not the most complicated pattern but it does have its moments.
Melissa decided to be a rebel and do hers in rust tones.
I guess I'm more of a traditionalist because I do want to frame it. Plus, I used thread I had on hand and I had these colors. Once it's sat on the pillows for a few days, I can trim the threads and take out the tons of pins.
Yesterday we let the cats out of our bedroom. Their first birthday was Saturday. They were so excited to walk everywhere in the three levels of our house. After 2 hours, we walked them back to our bedroom. I suspect they didn't move for a few hours. Sensory overload had to be going on there.We let them out again after we got back and they kept walking. We'll let them out when we're here but they are happy and safe up in our room while we're gone.
This week will be interesting as well because they will see me weave later today. Hopefully they will pretty much ignore it once they inspect everything. They've been down by the looms already. Maggie has looms, too, so it's not new, but I weave a lot more than Maggie is able to, so hopefully they'll find a nice comfortable spot to curl up in and watch... I know, dream on. I'll keep you updated! Hopefully with pictures next time.
Until next week,makeup weaving.
Carol

2 comments:

Tina J said...

Beautiful bobbin lace, I hope to get back to it one day!

LA said...

Such lovely pieces of lace. I know how much you enjoy that!