Friday, January 18, 2013

Kathryn and Lillian

This week has been an interesting one,  I was halfway thru threading the Hollywood placemat warp on Kathryn, my 8 shaft loom of unknown make, when I noticed something.  It was something I had been expecting to see, but it was surprising just the same.  I have been having trouble with shafts 1 and 2 hanging 1/4-1/2 inch above the other 6 shafts.  I had hoped that changing back to the metal heddles might have made a difference, but alas, it did not.  This is what I noticed halfway thru the threading.....

I have taken the picture from the back of the looms so that the light hits it.  You can see that  shafts 1 and 2, on the right are indeed about 1/4 inch above shafts 3 and 4.  Hmmmm,  I went with plan B, which is to ignore the first two shafts and rethread using the next 4 shafts.

 So essentially, I have a good 6 shaft loom instead of an 8 shaft loom.  I am sure I will be able to find some good projects that I may have overlooked before, thinking that I just had to use all the shafts.

 Oh, I also removed the overhead beater that I had rigged up, and replaced it with the original beater that came with the old girl.  Sometimes, I just need to leave things as they are, and not try to "improve" them!

Here we can see that these shafts while not exactly in line are much better that the before picture!  I finished up the threading, and tied on to the front beam.  I checked the tie-up of the treadles,  and she was ready to go.  Now,I just need to get some fabric strips ready to weave and I will be able to get some placemats and runners  that will match the incomplete sets I was left with after last years shows.

I had woven placemats in a dark fabric, in a light fabric and in a medium fabric.  The medium placemats sold, as did all the runners.  I also sold 1 light colored placemat, which left an odd number of those on hand.  I believe I will first concentrate on completing the sets that I have, light and dark, and then I think I may do some runners in a hit and miss fashion, combining all three values.  It will take a little sampling to get it how I want it but I think it will be worth it.  One more loom ready to weave!

I am coming to the end of the Baby Blanket warp on Lillian, my 4 shaft Burchard from Berkeley.  I had started to finish up with a bright blue one, in fact I had woven an inch or two of the blanket, when I got a call for the brightest green I had on hand.  I quickly un-wove what  was on there, loaded up with a green called "Grass", and got to work.  I am about 3/4 of the way thru the blanket, and I hope to finish that sometime this weekend.

This week I also got some spinning time in.  I have almost completed the first 2 oz bobbin of the multi-colored Polwarth that I had received from my Daughter for my Birthday.  I have just two more finger roving sections to go.  I am spinning this in a true worsted style.  I have never before been able to really stick with it thru a project before.  I am always trying new techniques throughout most of my spinning projects.  I have never been quite sure of the best way for any given fiber.  But this time, I am sticking with it!  I will not slip into my semi worsted, semi woolen sameness!  It is taking forever, but I will persevere!

I took this picture a couple of days ago, so I am a bit further along than this.  I really like the singles I am getting, they are fine, and well, worsted looking.   I can't wait to get the second bobbin spun so that I can see what it will look like as a finished yarn.

That is it for now from my Studio,  I hope you are all having as much fun as I am.

Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina


Bonnie said...

No, you are having much more fun than I am. I am glad you got the harness almost even. Amazing that made the difference.

LA said...

It's time for that summer-winter project with 6 shafts...yeah!!! The hollywood mats were a big hit. I'm glad you were able to make more.

Theresa said...

Well, nice to get a loom in action regardless of shafts. and the spinning looks grand. Such lovely colors.