Saturday, March 31, 2012

What's In A Name?

What do you call them?
    Those mats you place under a hot dish to protect your table?
             You grab that green bean casserole out of the oven and take it to the's too hot to put on the table!!!!
  Do you call it a trivet?  According to Webster, a trivet is a short legged stand for hot dishes to rest on.  So, if it has legs, it's a trivet.
  Regardless of what it is called, Tina and I thought woven mats would be a good project for next year's class at Townsend.  So, we brainstormed four different kinds of mini-rugs that could be woven by someone with little or NO weaving experience.

  When I bought my rug loom, John, he had a warp already wound.  It didn't take too long for me to realize that you just treadled a straight twill and that lovely design would pop right up.

  It did take me awhile to find out that this was the Hollywood Rug pattern in Meany and Pfaff's Rag Rug Handbook.
  This winter, Tina modified the threading to make a set of place mats:
  Once that idea was planted in my mind, that's all I could think about!!!!  I worked out the threading on WeaveDesign and thought that it would have to be threaded front to back.  Uh-oh....I don't do that!  Since Tina was out of town, we'd just have to wait until she came back......but I just couldn't wait!

  You might call this problem solving....or you could call it just being bull headed!  Yes....there are two sets of lease sticks!!!!  (I wound the black and white warps separately.)
  I think I will have to put on my big girl panties and learn to thread front to back....'cause this was such a fun project to weave!!!!!

  The four yard practice warp yielded seven mats.  Now I just need to cut them apart and hem the ends.  Then they'll be ready to grace a table....I'm thinking a skillet of corn bread would be a good test!

So........what do YOU call those mats????

Enjoy this Spring day!
Happy Weaving!


Valerie said...


Yours are very cute. I agree on ftb warping.

Barbara said...

I call them hot pads. looks like you are having fun...

Linda said...

Yes, that is what I call them, too!

Tina J said...

You go Girl! I haven't even started thinking about mine!

Bonnie said...

They are nice, whatever you call them.

Maggie said...

Welcome to the dark side, Luke! Darth Vader probably warped front to back, don't you think? Kinda makes your brain hurt, doesn't it?

Theresa said...

I call them hot pads too. And yours look wonderful! Bully for bull headedness I say.:)

Roxie said...

I call them hot pads, but if there's any moisture involved, they will allow the resulting steam to cloud the finish on a wood tabletop. Even a humid day can cause enough condensation under a hot skillet to cause trouble. However, they work well under a trivet to pad the table from those scratch-inducing little legs.

What a marvelous project! And what a hero you are to puzzle through that warp. Wish I were there because I would teach you to tie the next warp onto the current one, and once you work the knots through the reed and heddles,and wind it onto the back beam, you are ready to go with no re-threading necessary. Or do you do that already?

Benita said...

They are called hot pads here, too. Seems like a consensus.

Judy said...

It sounds like you are having a great time! Winding on ftb or btf-it's all good. Choose the method that makes you happy :-)