Saturday, March 3, 2012

"Uses Time Wisely"

   I'm still going through boxes of Mom's stuff, and I came across report cards.  Yep....Mom kept a variety of things!
  It would seem that when I was younger, I had a little problem of "using my time wisely."  Were they saying that I had a little trouble staying on task?  Or, were they saying I'd rather talk to my neighbor than getting my work done?  Who knows!!!!
  But, last night during the storms, I put my time to good use!  My laundry/sewing room is also my Safe Spot during Tornado Warnings, and I made good use of my time while I was down there.  After locating the corduroy that I wanted to use for my rug, I started cutting the strips.  After sampling, it looks like 1.5 inches is the best width for these strips.  I'm going to weave off the warp on John using this fabric.....wonder how long the rug will be????



 ***OK, blogger has a mind of its own....that picture refuses to come in correctly!

  After weaving my scarf last week, I really wanted to try another one!  I tried several different wefts with this one, and ended up using the original one I started with!  Needless to say, I didn't get much woven yesterday!  (Of course, I could have moved Parker Pup downstairs during the storm!!!!)
  This is another one of the variegated cones I picked up along the way.  I really must stop doing that!  (fat chance!)







   My SIL deserves kudos for being my guinea pig last weekend.  Although he does weave on an Inkle loom, he has never woven on a loom.  (I think he would have been happy if I had left the loom at his house!!!)  But, I got my directions tweaked, and made a few little changes.  All in all, I'm pleased with the outcome. 
  So far, only one person has signed up for the class, but we'll see what happens this week.


  I'll leave you with some fiber goodness....this is a piece of wool I got at the porch sale last Spring.  I've been wanting to weave a scarf with this, and I thought I would mix it in with some other wools I had on hand.
  The 6 dpi reed I ordered got here this week, so I'm ready in that department.  I love the color changes, and I think this will be a fun project. 

I think I'm using my time wisely today....I've got a roast in the crock pot, a load of laundry in the dryer, and it looks like a beautiful day to pick up sticks out of the yard.
Enjoy!
Happy Weaving!
LouAnn

6 comments:

Tina J said...

Good for you Lou Ann! We were in our safe place for a little while last night too, but we don't have any damage out here. I don't have anyone signed up for my Inkle Weaving class, I told them I would take walk-ins, or maybe take a class!
I love the weft on that rug, the color changes are really fun to watch as you weave, aren't they!

Bonnie said...

Looks like the SIL might be getting the bug. That material is making a nice looking rug.

Linda said...

You had better keep an eye on your looms! Your SIL just might sneak one out the door!Isn't it wonderful helping someone get get the bug?

We didn't have any damage last night and spent some time in the basement, too. I wonder what kind of weather we will have next?

Linda

Theresa said...

Gosh it has just been a fearsome series of storms marching across the country this past week. Glad everyone has a safe room and they didn't need it. Some fab weaving and see, those stray report card comments worked! ;)

KarenInTheWoods said...

Great way to use up the waiting time during the storms! Love that new yarn in the last pic....

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

roxie said...

Bless your dear hearts! Life with tornadoes must be dreadful.

The corduroy rug looks downright jolly. And I,too, am a sucker for variegated yarn. Good for you!