Friday, November 4, 2016


I have been spinning  yarn just a bit this week but not much, that is not my focus since I can't sell yarn at the Foothills Craft Guild show.   Last week,  while I was making my bags with handwoven fabric, I had a little trouble getting through all the layers of heavy fabric on my little sewing machine, I knew I needed  to pull out the work horse,  so my feet have been treadling on the Singer treadle sewing machine!  It really works well and I have managed to get through another bag, and I have 2 more cut out, serged and almost ready for the next time I can get sewing.  Life is busy around here and when I have small grandchildren around everything has to be put up out of harms way so I can keep my "no's" to a minimum.

I wanted to have Carol do a quality control on Tuesday before I proceeded with this project.  She approved and gave me an idea what to price the bags.

This second bag is a fraternal twin to the first, same size, same shape and slightly different handwoven fabric.

I had already done the red and cream prototype and the first bag, so I was feeling pretty good about putting this zipper in.  I pinned and pinned and then I stitched in it.

When I turned the fabric to top stitch I found that I had put the zipper in perfectly, except that it was facing the inside of the bag!  Rats!!!!  A patient 15 minutes with my seam ripper and I was pinning again and I did it right the second time.

I like these bags and I am rethreading the Burchard loom to continue with this pattern though It won't be in the hand dyed perle cotton.  Never fear, I have quite the stash upstairs.

Today I cut and serged the pieces for 2 more bags.  I had cut the lining ahead of time and I am beginning to see how I can streamline things a bit so that when I get a chance to weave or sew, I will be ready for it.  My goal is to get at least one of the next 2 bags ready for the  upcoming show.
Today between sessions at the ironing board and the serger, I washed a small black shetland fleece, it is going to be a lovely fleece to work with.  It was given to me, and at first I thought it was ruined, but upon looking closer I realized that it was a 2 year fleece and the part that was felted was the outer layer.

I separated the two at the natural rooing line (yearly break in   the growth) and was left with a very black very soft fleece.  It washed without a hitch and it is drying upstairs in the studio.  Once I finished with that I washed a bunch of my hand knit socks that I had been wearing these last few weeks.  I couldn't believe how nicely they washed up.  They will be dry by tomorrow and back in my drawer.

That is it for this week, Until next time, Happy Crafting, Tina

1 comment:

Maggie said...

That's a lot of socks! At first, I thought you were going to say it was the socks you'd whipped up this week in between the bags, because I know you're a human dynamo!