Friday, July 18, 2014

Maiden Voyage

I have finally gotten a warp on the new Cendrel, Leclerc's floor Inkle loom.  I had chosen a pattern soon after I got the loom, but it has been  hard to put aside time to warp this first project.  I wanted to be sure to do it right the first time, so I did it a little at a time, winding and tying off every few rows.  I have heard so many differing opinions of the right way to do this, continuous warp, one strand at a time, a few at a time etc.

I have done a continuous warp, and I knew that with the size of this loom and the lack of a concentrated time to do the job, I would be better off not following that route.  So, I wound the 6 edge strands together, then I broke up the body of the piece so that I could leave it in progress but totally secure.

I wound about 20 feet, though I could have easily done more.  I didn't want to make it so long that I tired of the pattern, and also I had heard that with the longer warps there are sometimes difficulties with advancing the warp as needed.  I wanted a fun easy project to start with.


 I picked on of the Baltic patterns from Anne Dixons "Inkle Pattern Directory"  It is one of the pick up patterns, and it looks like a basket weave. Which is really funny because I want to take the belt that comes off of the loom and try to make a basket out of it.

I saw something like it on the Facebook Inkle weaving group.  It looks like a very fun project, and I had it in mind when I purchased this loom.
I have only been able to weave a couple of inches in the pattern, and I have not settled what the best width will be, but with 20 feet to work with, I think I can play with it for a few inches!

I probably will not be posting next week, so maybe by the time I post in 2 weeks, I may have some more inkle weaving to show.

Until next time, Happy Spinning, Knitting and Weaving, Tina

2 comments:

LA said...

I love that pick up design! That is such a cool loom with so many possibilities.

Lynnette said...

Great looking pattern for your 'maiden voyage'!