Thursday, July 3, 2014

Happy 4th!!!



   I just got back from a quick trip to the Museum to pick up my parking pass for tomorrow's big celebration.  YES...it's time again for the annual Anvil Shoot at the Museum of Appalachia!

  You can see by the list of activities that it will be a busy day full of fun things to see.  And, there is usually a cast of historical characters to bring it all to life.  I sure hope Abe and Mary can make it again this year!!!!

  I'm part of the Historical Demonstrations agenda.  The great thing about weaving is that it IS historical and also very contemporary.  I always enjoy telling folks about the unique Rocker Beater Loom which originated before the Revolutionary War.  Although I don't know the exact age of the one at the Museum, it is true to the original design.



   In preparation for the 4th, I worked on blue jean weft for the rugs.  I got five shuttles loaded, and wound the rest into two balls.  I'm using some blue jean panels that Tina donated to me, and I decided to cut these into strips before I joined them.
  I spent most of Saturday and Sunday afternoon on this project!





  This is the sewing machine I learned to sew on, and I remember that my Mom got it when I was 5 years old.  It is perfect for sewing strips since I can put it just about anywhere!  It only sews forward and back, but that's all I need for this job!  I always forget how heavy it is, but I wasn't surprised to find out that it weighs 25 pounds!  (I actually borrowed it while I was in college, and took it on the bus to Johnson City!  I was much younger then!!!  I sat with that on my lap the whole way!)


  I worked all last weekend getting ready so I could go to Atlanta with my daughter's family.  We did a quick trip to Stone Mountain to see the Laser Show.  I hadn't been in about 20 years, and there have been lots of changes to the show.  The lawn was totally filled by dark when the show started.  And, the show was so amazing.  After a great night's sleep at the Stone Mt. Inn, we joined Atlanta rush hour traffic to head downtown.



The Georgia Aquarium is well worth the traffic headache to get there.

  I LOVE beluga whales, and it was just a pure joy to sit and watch them swimming in the tank.  And, yes, they have a bench for folks like me that are mesmerized by the sight.

Sing along with me:
"Baby beluga in the deep blue sea...."



  The kids love the whale sharks, and we spent time on all 3 levels viewing them swimming in their tank. 

  Then, of course, there were the otters, penguins and touch pools that keep us moving from exhibit to exhibit. 

  We made great time on the way home and totally avoided any other rush hours in Chattanooga and Knoxville.  Great!!!!

  I returned home to a dying air conditioner, but all is well now.  Tomorrow will be lots of fun, and Saturday the family will be here!  Just too much fun!!!!
  So....Happy 4th of July to all!
Be safe!

LouAnn

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Looks like fun! Happy Fourth of July!

Tina J said...

I'm so glad the trip was fun! Happy 4th!