Friday, May 9, 2014

A Break in the Routine

For most of my life, when I would see a photo like this one, I would immediately think it was a sunset.  That is because I grew up on the west coast of the US, in California, about 45 minutes away from the beach.  We were frequent beach bluff campers in my growing up years, and I loved it!   We would wake up, in the morning to a cold thick fog, that would burn of by 10am, then it was down the bluff we ran to get to the beach for hours of dunking, digging, and dozing.

It wasn't until many years later that I got to experience my first sunrise at the beach.  It absolutlely did not make any sense to me at all, it tied my mind in all kinds of knots!  As the years have passed however, I have gotten used to the idea, and I have even embraced it.  We have had the opportunity over the last several years to spend a week here and there on the East coast, with or without the rest of the family, and it has become the highlight of our year, when we can manage it.

Last year we were not able to go to the beach as a family, mostly because my youngest was in Africa, working out the details of the adoption of my newest grandsons.  I spent quite a bit of time with her over there last fall, and we finally came home just before Thanksgiving 2013.  We saw each other briefly again at Christmas, but with 9 hrs between us, it isn't easy to get together.  We have done a bit of FaceTime on our phones, but it isn't the same thing, now is it!

This week, however, Dear One and I, cleared our calendar for a couple of days, hopped into the car, and made our way to the east coast.  Dear One hasn't had the opportunity to really spend time with the boys as I have, so we are going to make the best of our time together.  We got to their house last evening, just before supper time, so we were able to enjoy a little play time, including a couple of books and several horsey rides!  The boys were too excited to eat their dinner, but once released from their chairs, they were more than willing to take, "more rice" from my plate!

They were soon off to bed, after a book, and a viewing, (and singing) of the song "Let it Go" from Frozen.  Hugs and kisses all around,  promises of a day together, and it was off to dream land.  We visited a bit, but frankly Dear One and I were exhausted, and we soon made our way to the  beach front hotel we had reserved.

We will spend today together at the beach, this evening at their place, and then on Saturday morning, a little better aquainted with the newest family members, we will set off early for East TN, to pick up where we left off.   At home, the Spring is still flowing, the goat is still pregnant, there are still a couple of fleeces from the Museum left to wash, a baby blanket I simply must get off the loom this week, and I am sure the lawn will need some of Dear One's attention again before the Mothers Day picnic at our place, not to mention a Sunday Service to get ready for,  but for now we are pausing to soak up a little bit of life.

Until next time, Happy Spinning and Weaving, Tina

2 comments:

LA said...

Beach time is always GOOD time!!! Enjoy!

Maggie said...

Happy Beachy Mother's Day!