Sunday, April 6, 2014

Busy, with a Chance of Rain

 It's been a busy week at Kittywompus Cottage, with lots going on at work and play.  It's finally nice enough to be outside, but I had other plans this week.  Yesterday, I went to a lecture on Thomas Jefferson's Revolutionary Garden, by the man who restored Monticello's gardens and oversaw them for 35 years.
  I went to the UT plant sale, but many people must have been there before me, because the pickings were slim.  I did manage to find a peach drift rose for the front slope, a "Hot Lips" Salvia for the front flower bed and a lovely pink Foxglove, and I did manage to get two out of three in the ground yesterday afternoon.
  Mostly, I've been sitting, knitting, though.  It's hard to tell from the monotony of the design, but great strides have been made on the wool sweater I've been knitting for the past year.  The yarn is Harrisville Shetland, and it's scratchy and unpleasant to knit--what will it be like to wear?--but the colors are lovely and the pattern is simple, so on I knit!
  The only weaving I've done this week is on a new shag rug.  It'll be pictorial this time, representing a tree or two in the woods.  At least, that's what I'm hoping.  I'll post more as it progresses and we'll see what it really looks like!
  I will make it outside to build those raised beds this week, and get my garden going.  And I've got a mini dye day planned for tomorrow after work.  You'll see and read all about it next week!
  Until then, Happy Weaving!
Maggie


3 comments:

Bonnie said...

The rug looks like fun. Glad you are taking time for yourself.

LA said...

I can't wait to hear more about the lecture! I love reading about old garden layouts.

Tina J said...

I never make it to the UT garden sale, good for you! I think the Shetland will soften up with washing, many times there are oils in the wool that make it seem scratchier than it is.