Saturday, October 6, 2012

Trudging Through!

Wednesday Plan of Action-
1.  Finish weaving last 2 bread cloths
2.  Hem, correct weaving errors, and wash them if possible
3.  Errands, chicken food, cat food and some people food too!
That sounds reasonable now doesn't it!  But, 9 am as I was heading up to the studio, I received a call from Dear One.  Could I go help MIL get some gas in her tank?  He was tied up in a meeting and couldn't get away.  Sure, I could do that, I will just run my errands first and then come home to weave. I called MIL to set up a time to meet at the pump.  As I was parking to give her a hand, she was pulling away from the pump!  The attendant had filled her tank for her! Sigh!

I went ahead and did my errands, which took longer than anticipated, (as usual!).  I got back home and after a little lunch, and after I started another batch of granola, I set my sights on those 2 bread cloths that needed weaving.  The simplest design, a loom controlled Swedish Lace, was the first one, so I got started, but in the back of my mind I was thinking that I might not be able to get both of them woven after all.

Each bread cloth begins and ends with this color work.  I use 2 shuttles, and I don't break the thread between the stripes, it just works faster that way, also I will be able to tell which side it the right side when I am hemming.

The first one went well, and I thought for a second of stopping right then, but then I saw that it was only 3:30 pm, 2 hours before I would have to go feed the animals.  Why didn't I just see how far I got on the second more difficult one, in those 2 hours.  That is all I was going to do, I wasn't going to commit to finishing it, but just get it started!

In the 2 hours I had before feeding time, I went through the color work portion, and about a third of the way through the Brooks Bouquet hand manipulated lace portion.

I put my shuttle down and stirred the granola in the crockpot one more time, and headed out to feed the animals.  Dear One was out for the evening, so when I came back in from chores, I grabbed a drink and went back upstairs to work a little while longer.

A couple of times I almost threw in the towel and walked away from the loom, but I persevered, thinking of how nice it would be to have this order finished!

Before you know it, I was past the lace center and on to the plain weave color work!  I finished up, cut them off and got them serged and ready for hemming before Dear One came home.

 I decided to call it a night, and enjoy the evening with Dear One and the Braves!  I had done enough, I had finished a large portion of a huge project, I could see daylight!

As I write this post Saturday morning, I only have 2 cloths left to hem, then I will check for weaving errors, wash, iron and tag them all. I think I can get that all done on Monday, and have them sent off by Wednesday, on my way to help set up for the Museum of Appalachia's Fall Homecoming Festival.

(I can't wait to have pictures of us all in our costumes to show you next week, it is going to be fun, I have always loved granny boots!)

Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina


LA said...

I finally got my granola going this morning (after meaning to get it done yesterday) and I'm headed to the sewing machine in just a minute. You know what they say about the "best made plans," right???

Bonnie said...

Nice towels. You had a very productive day.