Saturday, May 26, 2012

Weekend Plans


And, so it begins!  The official start to our summer...Memorial Day Weekend!
  The pool is open, and we have plans to grill out later today after my kids arrive.  This is a weekend for outdoor activities and family.
  But, you can't stay outside in this heat all day!!!

  I've got the yarn spun for my sister's fiber project...we are having a crochet-along this weekend!

  I got to use my new Country Spinner to create this yarn.







  Yes, Tina and I went back to The Spinnery in Gatlinburg on Wednesday and picked this little jewel up...along with a 2 yard niddy noddy.  That's Nancy on the left....we had a great time playing with the Spinner.  I showed her how I'm spinning thrums into the fiber to create my art yarn.  It has a huge bobbin, so you can spin a lot of yarn! 


 

  I started on my triangle shawl already.  I wanted to test drive the yarn and the pattern before my sister got here!!!  This is the yarn I spun using some of Carol's thrums...and it's working up very nicely!





With the addition of the wheels to the forest of looms in my living room, my great-niece decided that she needed to know how to spin, too.  After practicing just treadling the wheel, I gave her some yarn to play with at the wheel.  It's a good way to get the feel for the take up on the wheel.  (I'm going to bring up the table loom later for her....it still has the warp for mug rugs from the class in Townsend.  She can weave a few mug rugs while she's here, too!)


And, not to be out done, my sister introduced her granddaughter to crochet.  You have to learn to make a chain first, and she worked on that the rest of the evening.  Even with all the fiber goodness, she even took time for a night-swim last evening.  It's so relaxing under the stars....except when the local raccoon decided to investigate.  An uninvited guest!!!! 
So...let's get this party started!  We're running a few errands this morning, and then it's pool time!!! (and grilling and spinning and weaving and crocheting, etc......)
Happy Weaving!
LouAnn

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

That looks like a great spinning wheel. You are just broadening out in every direction. Wonderful. Sounds like you have a great weekend planned. Have fun and stay safe.

Tina J said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

I like the spinning wheel. It's easy to spin, and for a beginner like me, the easier the better! :)
Crochet is not as easy as it looks. I've mastered a pattern...the wrong way. Oh well! :P
Going for a night swim soon. I really hope our 'uninvited guest' does not return. I want to swim this time.
Anyway, better stop commenting/talking and go.
Best Wishes! -LouAnn's niece