Saturday, September 10, 2011

Makin' It New

  "All things old are new again."  That's what my Mom used to say when I would rave about some new fashion item.  She would just chuckle and then tell me how that was popular when she was younger.  Remember those wonderful, colorful fabrics from the '60's and '70's?  I came across some in my great aunt's stash, and it has already been used in one small tote bag.  This week I pulled some curtain valances from the stash (they came with John and Sally) and got them ready for their new life.
  Weavers have been "using it up" for eons.  Old fabric has a chance at a new, useful life.  The wilder and bolder the print, the better it weaves up, it seems!
  The countdown to the Foothills Guild show is now 69 days.  I challenged myself this week to a tote bag a day.  I think that is doable (as long as I've got the weft ready to go!)

  One of the items I needed to prepare for my challenge was navy mop cord for handles.  Wednesday was dye day at my house, and I was rewarded with some lovely cord for more totes.  This is one completed tote, and the start for the next one.



  Remember that lovely brown/tan/orange fabric?  This is the way it wove up for the small tote!   I used the mop cord that I had dyed brown...and it worked like a charm.

  So, my challenge is going smoothly, so far.  I pulled some more fabric and got it washed in preparation for doing a mixed fabric weft in the next few days.  I will need to dye more mop cord, but not today!!!

  Thirteen Cross of Tennessee mug rugs are completed.  I'm ready to hemstitch number fourteen!  So we just keep chugging along!

  Turning old fabric into new items.....using old patterns in new ways.....all things old are new again.

Happy Weaving!
LouAnn

4 comments:

Linda said...

Wow! One a day. You will be very busy! The colors look wonderful.

Bonnie said...

Those old materials make into something beautiful and new.

Tina J said...

You go girl, the race is on!

Theresa said...

I'm rooting for you! Those fabrics are working up beautifully for totes!
Maybe a little bag counter on the side of the blog???;)