Friday, October 15, 2010

My prep for the Weaving Weekend


This is several skeins of pearl cotton.  My plan is to prepare them for the upcoming Weaving Weekend in an unusual way. 

 I inherited all this pearl cotton with my first loom.  That was many years ago, and I really haven't known what to do with pearl cotton in pink and beige.  Most of the weavers are going to  wind warps and probably space dye them to make wonderful painted warps.

My plan is to use my knitting machine to knit up blanks, like sock blanks. to make painted weft for shawls and scarves.

1.  Find knitting machine and try to remember how to set it up.











2.  Put skein on swift and wind into a ball.  (what a mess!)












3.  Thread knitting machine and knit a 6 inch wide blank, which will be good to do an 18 inch wide shawl.



Much Better!  I will knit up the rest of the pearl cotton in the next few weeks.   I will do some narrower pieces to for scarves.

 I have discovered that it takes 5 loaded Pattern bobbins to do the pattern, and likewise 5 bobbins for the Tabby.  That means that I can load up my tray and weave a whole Baby Blanket before I have to wind more bobbins.  I still have to get up and  advance the warp, but that doesn't take too long and I can get a drink and change the audio book CD I am listening to at the same time.  I  have finished 3 Baby Blankets and am on to the 4th.  I thought that this shot of the transition from the purple to the yellow was really cool!
That is it for now,  I  need to get some lunch and get ready to go get a load of hay this evening.  My buddy Linda gave me a good lead on some!  Yeah!  It is a good deal and it is in the square bales and not those great big round ones.  I really can't see me trying to manage one of those on my own!

Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina
logged 20 miles walking and 15 miles jogging!
( The dogs are in lock down for stealing stuff from the neighbors!)

8 comments:

LA said...

WOW! The knitting machine made short work of making up those blanks! Fantastic! And, that reminds me that I need to get my warps wound for dyeing! Love, love, love those baby coverlets!

Bonnie said...

You are moving right along on those beautiful baby blankets. Neat knitting machine. Oops, the dogs are in lock down. They can be mischievous.

Me said...

1. That's really cool!!!
2. I hope you're saving me one of those great blankets...
3. 20 miles walking and 15 running?!?!?! Are you KIDDING me?!?!
4. I love you and I've been thinking about you a lot.. I love you, Mom!!!

Tina J said...

I was thinking about a red one for you guys!

Maggie said...

Wait! What did they steal? What kind of dogs are you raising, anyway???

roxie said...

The pearl cotton blanks are inspired. You are going to have SOOOOO much fun with those!

Linda said...

Did the dogs bring home anything good? We used to have a neighbor whose dog brought us Tupperware!!

Tina J said...

The last thing they brought home, and chewed up, was the rug that goes around the toilet! Yuck!