Monday, June 28, 2010

Busy Day

Aaaahhh!  Finished with Cathy's color on the Clinch Valley afghan project!  One more color to go, but since I haven't gotten it yet, I will leave this alone for a while.  I like the side view:
I like seeing everyone's colors wrapped around the beam, like looking at the history of this project.  Like many of us--and some have complained about overuse of this aspect--the rear view is not as pleasant.
Yuck!  Even the left hand floating selvedge gave way at the end!  It didn't break but became mysteriously loose and needed some weight.  Enough!  Almost done!  On to the new warp on Jennifer!
Pretty excited to get this started, and I hope to get it wound on today.  Threading will take quite some time, due to its complexity, but I think it will be fun. 
  I've been thinking today, while I vacuumed and finished up the afghan project, about what's next, after mug rugs and scarves, and I think I'd like to try to make some upholstery fabric.  I have two wing back chairs that I've made slipcovers for a few years ago.  My family hates these chairs.  They think they're horribly uncomfortable, and I have to say, they're not that attractive.  I started to reupholster them a few years ago, but was overcome by the complexity of upholstering.  There are all kinds of things holding fabric on chairs, with very little sewing, which surprised me.  So, knowing sewing better than those things, I sewed slipcovers.  And they were fine, but are starting to look awful, thanks to the cats, humans and time.  I'm ready to learn how to do it right, now, and I'm thinking that it would be fun to make the fabric to reupholster them.  Fun might not be the right word, but think how satisfying it would be to look at chairs that I've made the fabric for!  I'm thinking Shadow Weave, with some deep, rich colors that will complement my living room.  As for my family, I promise to add a lot more padding when everything is torn off the chair!
  If anyone's woven any upholstery fabric and has any advice, please let me know!  Until then, Happy Weaving!
Maggie

3 comments:

LA said...

I have never woven upholstery fabric...nor do I plan to....but there has been some articles in "Handwoven" about doing that. You might want to check some back issues. And, you might want to take a look at Mary Meigs Atwater's "Recipe Book"...she has a whole section on Drapery and Upholstery. I know that must be very satisfying to see the roll of fabric on the cloth beam for the afghan project.

Tina J said...

Fascinating! I can't wait to see what you choose. I am glad you are so near to the end of a troubling warp. It is very satisfying, hope you can finish up soon.

Bonnie said...

Guess, I better get started on my afghan squares. I think LouAnn has her warp ready to put on. That leaves Carol and me to get ours done. Maybe I can do mine while Carol gets ready for her shows. I can't wait till you get the curtain warp on. Upholstery material---you can do it.